[va-bird] Long-billed Curlew report

From Barry Truitt at The Nature Conservancy, Brownsville, VA:

Sunday, July 16, 2006, I observed a lone Long-billed Curlew in flight over
Outlet Bay in Northampton County. The bird flew past and within 25 meters of
the
stern of my boat (I was anchored fishing). The long sickle bill and overall
large size attached my attention first, along with the overall buff color. I
didn't observe the cinnamon wing lining because of its low attitude (< 10 m).
The bird landed on the edge of marsh at north Elkins Marsh less than 50 meters
from my boat. With binocs quickly in hand, the long bill along with the lack of
eye stripe was pretty obvious. The bird soon moved into the salt marsh and
out of my view. This is probably the 5th or 6th curlew that I've observed on
the
seaside in the past two decades.

Thanks to Barry for sending this and other great seaside observations our
way.

Ned Brinkley
Cape Charles, VA