[va-bird] Leucistic N. Cardinal in Arlington

  • From: "P R Mocko" <paulbirds19@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:58:30 -0500

Dear VA-Birders,

My wife & I walked the Mt. Vernon Trail (paralleling the GW Parkway) from north of Old Town Alexandria to the 14th St. Bridge Sunday afternoon. Birds along the path seem very desensitized to humans. We twice passed within 40 feet of a low perched SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and within 100 feet of an adult BALD EAGLE. Neither flew away. SCAUP and PIED-BILLED GREBES were very close to the Potomac shoreline and oblivious to the presence of walkers, runners and bikers.

When walking under the RR Bridge just downriver from the 14th Street Bridges a bird flashed across the trail showing a lot of white. Thought I had a Snow Bunting until I got my binocs on it. A leucistic female N. CARDINAL posed for many minutes. Pure white head, pink bill and gray tail. An attractive bird.

No unusual gulls around Gravelly Point.

Good birding,

Paul Mocko
McLean, VA