[va-bird] LeConte's status report

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:46:24 -0500

VA-Birders,

There has been no reported sighting of the LeConte's sparrow at Occoquan Bay NWR since last Saturday morning. The numbers of hopeful birders have dwindled. I have been there every day since it was first seen, keeping an eye on Bayview Road, and it does seem the bird may have left. I hope it avoided the talons of the Merlin reported on Monday by Paul Sullivan (no relation, but a nice guy) and has a safe journey to its wintering grounds.

I thought it might be worth reporting that other sparrows were plentiful along Bayview and Charlie this showery and overcast morning. There was never a moment when there was not a sparrow to look at. Oddly, some of the warm and sunny days last week were rather slow. Switch grass, a beautiful native grass, planted by the refuge managers is a big favorite, especially with Savannahs, Songs, and Swamps, it seems. It appeared that the LeConte's enjoyed it too.

Highlight of the morning was seeing a flock of about 12 White-crowned Sparrows, along with many Fields, feeding on Charlie Road, occasionally flushing to the bushes along the side, and then returning to the road.

Bob Klarquist and I will be leading a walk at the refuge for the Northern Virginia Bird Club on Saturday, beginning at 8 AM. Come on out and join us!

Conservative, rough estimates of sparrow numbers:

Eastern Towhee  1
Field  14
Savannah  8
Fox  1