[va-bird] LeConte's Sparrow at Occoquan Bay NWR, Woodbridge

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:21:55 -0500

VA-Birders,

Larry Cartwright and I birded Occoquan this morning, looking primarily for sparrows. We had just bumped into Jack Peckham along the Bayview trail about 15-20 yards short of the intersection with Charlie when Larry spotted an ammodramus sparrow. We all had extended, unobstructed views at eye level of what we were able to identify as a LeConte's. The bird just glowed in the fine morning light, showing off its ochre supercilium, and fine, purplish streaks on its nape. Fortunately, it posed most cooperatively for a few photos which I have posted to the Occoquan Bay NWR gallery of my web site. http://www.pbase.com/paulasullivan/occoquan_bay_nwr_birds

Other sparrows seen this morning were Field, Savannah, Song, Swamp, White-throated, and White-crowned.

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria