[va-bird] Hampton & VA Beach, 7 Jan - No Clark's Grebe

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:47:00 -0500

Folks-
My 'chasing' was almost entirely unsuccessful, but I had a good day out birding on Saturday. I was unable to relocate the Clark's Grebe at Lynnhaven, the Snow Buntings at First Landing State Park, the Eurasian Wigeon at Ridgeway Park in Hampton, or the rare gulls at Fort Story. I did get my first BRANT at Grandview Preserve beach, where I also saw a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER mixed with the Sanderlings (this appears to be the first this year on Sue's list when I checked this morning). A small group of DUNLIN on the beach at First Landing State Park also appear to be first for the year (ditto). Lists follow with 'good' birds at the tops.

##
Ridgeway Park, Hampton

Black-crowned Night-heron  2 (one adult, one juv)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Hooded Merganser  30+
Mallard  20+ (one hybrid with Hooded Merg - very odd)
Bufflehead  3
American Wigeon  10+
White-throated Sparrow  1
Cardinal  2
Song Sparrow  2
Kingfisher  1
Yellow-rumped Warblers  4
Canada Geese, Ring-billed Gulls, Assorted Domestic Ducks and Geese, and Pigeons Uncounted

##
Grandview Preserve, Hampton

- Trail

Gray Catbird  1
Swamp Sparrow  3
Bufflehead  2
Hooded Merganser  3
Great Blue Heron  1
Song Sparrow  3
Yellow-rumped Warblers  25+
White-throated Sparrow  2
Carolina Wren  2

- Beach

Brant  2
Red-throated Loon  2
Surf Scoter  3
Common Goldeneye  1
Black-bellied Plover  1
Sanderling  12
Ruddy Turnstone  5
Bufflehead  8
Assorted Gulls  Uncounted

##
First Landing State Park Beach

Dunlin  6
Horned Grebe  2
Sanderling  14
Assorted Gulls, Cormorants, and Terns  Uncounted

##
Fort Story

American Kestrel  1
Sanderling  2