[va-bird] Gulls at Northern VA landfills

  • From: Michael Bowen <dhmbowen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:05:23 -0500

VA Birders:

Due to the lack of accessibility to "our own" gull watching sites in Maryland, a group of a dozen birders from the Montgomery County Bird Club (a chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society) went on a field trip today to landfills in Fauquier County, near Warrenton, and Prince William County (off Rte. 234). Clive Harris of Cabin John, MD, and I led the trip.

At the Fauquier County landfill we had 5 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS -- 2 adults and 3 1st or 2nd winter birds. At the PW landfill we had 2 1st winter ICELAND GULLS and a 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL. At PW, we also had 8 BALD EAGLES (3 of them adults) and a very active and acrobatic young, very heavily streaked, PEREGRINE FALCON. We also had an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull at the PW landfill. We did not see a Laughing Gull anywhere. Doubtless they are down on the golf courses of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina!

Thanks to the good folks who run the landfills, who are so tolerant of us birders, and congratulations to you northern VA birders who can still get to these very nice, birdy, gull-filled sites. Please continue to be be real nice to the people who run them, so that birders everywhere can visit.

Thanks Virginia!

Mike Bowen
MD Ornithological Society
Bethesda, MD