[va-bird] Followup on Red-tailed Hawks at Fort Ward Park, Alexandria

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:46:55 -0400

VA-Birders,

Those of you who have taken an interest in the Red-tailed Hawk nest at Fort Ward Park may be interested in a photographic chronology which can be seen at my web photo gallery at http://www.pbase.com/ paulasullivan/red_tailed_hawk_nest The main gallery is arranged by date. You can click on a thumbnail of each day to see a sub-gallery of photos taken that day. Then, click on the thumbnail photos within each sub-gallery to see them in a larger size (you can choose small, medium or large) and use the "next" button in the upper right hand corner to cycle through them. You can also view them as a slideshow.

Paul Kane has a photo gallery online as well. His beautiful digiscopes are accompanied by a full recounting of events between June 13 and June 23. http://homepage.mac.com/pmkane/Fort%20Ward/

On Sunday evening, I had a report from Kent Knowles who is caring for the two young Red-tails at the Raptor Conservancy of Virginia. http:// www.raptorsva.org/ He said both of the chicks were fully hydrated by then. They are a couple of weeks away from where they should be and their weight is way down, definitely behind the curve, but they are doing well. He's giving them food and vitamins and expects them to be released when they are mature enough and have had experience hunting for themselves in a flight cage.

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria You are subscribed to VA-BIRD. To post to this mailing list, simply send email to va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. To unsubscribe, send email to