[va-bird] Eastern Shore highlights, oct 21-22

  • From: Dan Cristol <dacris@xxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:40:02 -0400

The William & Mary ornithology class spent the weekend traversing the Eastern Shore and amassed a trip list of 101 species despite a late start, a large group that made it impossible to approach songbirds, and the participation of two young children. We started at Kiptopeke 10:30 Saturday morning and found that people literally outnumberd the birds (despite hundreds of yellow-rumps!), so we left immediately and headed for Ramp Road on the ESVNWR. Here we had a nice look at a merlin, as well as 8 white ibis, a pied-billed grebe, one Cape May warbler in reasonable plumage and 80 black vultures. Many clapper rails were heard but none could be seen despite considerable effort to scare one up for the class to observe. Next we went to Magotha Road and saw a peregrine and again failed to get a good look at any of the 8 clapper rails that were calling nearby, despite construction of a makeshift bridge and a lot of work in hip waders. Oyster and Willis Wharf were challenging because the tide was very low, so the willets (15) and oystercatchers (20) were too far away for the class to appreciate despite a wonderful 50x scope. No godwits were found. Dusk at Wachapreague produced 8 more unseen clapper rails, approximately 100 migrating swans and some snow geese, numerous harriers and meadowlarks settling into the saltmarsh, and a yellow-crowned nightheron. Yellow-bellied sapsuckers could be heard near the VIMS lab. Owling around Wachapreague was productive, with three screech-owls observed closely on as many trys; 10-15 minutes each with a lot of good photographs taken under million candlepower spotlight. Dawn at Saxis produced the long awaited good looks at Clapper rails, which were feeding in plain sight in the muddy low-tips ditches and allowed close approach and plenty of photographs. A sedge wren was among numerous marsh wrens. Several Wilson' snipe were seen, including one feeding so close to the road that the freshly molted orange tail, almost the color of an oriole's breast, was plain to see with the naked eye. An early bufflehead and several common loons were seen (one red-throated migrated overhead on Saturday). At Chincoteague we saw numerous brown-headed nuthatches, despite the size of our group, as well as a fine group of 9 marbled godwits, 2 redheads, 2 lesser scaup and a lingering flock of black skimmers and one late caspian tern. Offshore there were gannets and an unusual offshore migration of green-winged teal, with a flock of 15-30 every 5 minutes, heading south about 200 meters out. One teal flock contained 2 male black scoters, a male woodduck and 3 American Wigeon stragglers, a strange assemblage anywhere, but especially over the ocean. On the way home in the rain a merlin kept pace with us as we crossed the CBBT at almost 60 MPH, closing out a very nice field trip with a lot of great views but no rarities.

Daniel A. Cristol, Associate Professor
Department of Biology
College of William & Mary
PO Box 8795, Williamsburg, VA