[va-bird] College Creek Hawkwatch

Today, April 20th, only one day after our 1000th bird, we are almost at
1100. Bill Williams, Fred Blystone and I watched for almost 3 hours as an
excellent variety of hawks crossed the James. The total of 70 is not in the top
 10
days for the total of hawks and vultures we tally, but it is the best  total of
hawks at 61....only 9 Turkey Vultures today. The  previous Northern Harrier
daily high of 6 was surpassed at 9. The  previous Broad-winged daily high of 4
was surpassed at 7 (we don't see  flocks of Broad-wingeds here) and the
previous Cooper's Hawk daily high of  5 was surpassed at 7. The 21
Sharp-shinned
Hawks was the second-best daily  total.

Bring on the kites!

Brian Taber

The College Creek Hawkwatch is located on the James River near Williamsburg
and is sponsored by Coastal Virginia Wildlife  Observatory.