[va-bird] College Creek Hawkwatch

The third week in March, just as spring is beginning, is typically very  good
for migration at College Creek and this year is no exception. Despite  some
wet, cool and foggy weather recently (Bill Williams even counted 2  days during
snow!), hawks, eagles and vultures have been steadily heading north.  From
March 18-22, about 150 have been recorded, bringing the season total  to nearly
500. The season averages about 1,000, so we're off to a great  start. Cooper's
Hawks and Red-taileds are ahead of the average pace. A few  Northern Harriers
are beginning to show up, but we are still waiting for our  first American
Kestrel, which as you may know, seem to be in short supply  in recent years.
Friday looks good, but then more rain is predicted. Thanks  to both Tom Armour
and Bill, who have been at the site nearly every day.

Brian Taber

College Creek Hawkwatch is located on the James River, near Williamsburg  and
is sponsored by Coastal Virginia Wildlife  Observatory.