[va-bird] Cedar Waxwings, Bald Eagles at Mason Neck SP

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:24:51 -0500

Birders,

Ten beginning to intermediate birders joined me today for the weekly bird walk at Mason Neck State Park. Our species list was not as extensive as it has been in the past, due at least partly to the later time slot-- the walk is at 1pm this month instead of 7am. All had a good time regardless, and we did spot two immature BALD EAGLES as well as four CEDAR WAXWINGS, and of course the usual suspects. Full list follows.

Canada Goose
Scaup Spp.
Ruddy Duck

Bald Eagle (2 imm.)
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove

Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Cedar Waxwing

Eastern Towhee
American Goldfinch
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

The Saturday bird walk is open to all birders; the only fee is a $4/car parking fee at the park. No reservations are necessary, simply meet at the start of the Bay View Trail at 1:00pm. Please join me this month-- during February there will be no guided bird walks. I will note March's bird walk time here as soon as it's decided.

Happy birding!

Jodi Bucknam, Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park
Lorton, VA