[va-bird] CONI-Almost Done

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "night" <NITEHAWK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:45:35 -0400

Since last Sunday (9-10), the Washington, D.C. area has been under a stagnant weather pattern with no fronts and almost continually overcast skies. As a result there has been no movement of Common Nighthawks. My nightly counts at Tyson's Corner, Fairfax Co., VA, have remained relatively constant at 25-45 birds feeding in the lights over the office buildings.
On Saturday night (9-16), the skies finally cleared and remained clear through Sunday. On Sunday night nighthawk numbers dropped to only 2. Hard to tell how long I'll see them here, but in 6 of the 7 seasons I have been checking this site, I've had October departure dates.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx