[va-bird] CONI- VA report

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "night" <NITEHAWK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:35:52 -0400

For a variety of reasons I decided to limit my Common Nighthawk watching this fall to daily checks of their nocturnal feeding area at Tysons Corner, Fairfax Co., VA.
I started on August 2 and saw my first ones(2) on
August 5(my earliest fall record). The first increase was on August 9 when I had 12, then down to 6 the next evening and none on August 11.
From August 12-19 there were 25-30 nighthawks feeding over the lighted buildings. This was a little bit early in the season for this number and was similar to spring when numbers stay the same for several days.
On August 20 a weak cold front passed through the area. That evening the count was down slightly to 20, but on the next 2 evenings counts increased significantly. I had 70 nighthawks on August 21 and 45 the next evening. Their behavior has changed also with the birds spread out over a larger area which requires more time to get an accurate count. They are also flying extremely high, perhaps a 1/4 mile or so.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx