[va-bird] Bluebird behavior

  • From: William Minor <senexva@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:28:32 -0500

We have followed Bluebird nestings in 30 + boxes for more than ten years , but
recently observed behavior that was new to us --- not that we felt that we had seen everything !
In a box from which five young had been previously fledged , a new nest was built and five eggs laid .
The box was checked weekly , our normal routine , and we visited it on the 20th. day from
the observed completion of the clutch . As we approached the box a pair of Bluebirds were
sitting on the fence rail near it , the female with a beak full on insects . She entered the box
and we assumed that she fed young . But on inspection we found no young , and five eggs
remaining in a messed up nest . The eggs were removed and were found to contain no embryos
 when broken .
The box is on a fence row , with a box every 100 yards , and a total of five boxes in the immediate
area . The box on one side of it had had three unhatched , infertile eggs removed on the same day ,
and the one on the other side contained five half-grown young .
  Any ideas about what was going on ?

Bill and Maureen Minor
Charlottesville , VA