[va-bird] Birds Observed at the Blue Ridge Center (Loudoun Co), April 22

Seven rather damp people participated in the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy's
bird walk at the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship in
northwestern Loudoun County this morning.   While it was only drizzling when we
began, it was steadily raining by 9:00 a.m.    As a result we only observed 32
species with the highlights including a calling Barred Owl, a gobbling Turkey,
a just completed Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest, and a decently large snapping
turtle that didn't want to share one of the trails with us.

Great Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Canada Goose 4
Wild Turkey 1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  5
Carolina Wren  1
Tufted Titmouse  2
Carolina Chickadee  6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  10
Eastern Bluebird  3
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  2
Northern Parula  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
Eastern Towhee  3
Chipping Sparrow 2
Field Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow 15
Northern Cardinal 2
Red-winged Blackbird  3
Eastern Meadowlark  1
Common Grackle  12
Brown-headed Cowbird  3
Am Goldfinch  3

Information on the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship can be found
at http://www.blueridgecenter.org/directions.html.   Information on the Loudoun
Wildlife Conservancy can be found at www.loudounwildlife.org.

Joe Coleman