[va-bird] Banded Mallard and other sightings

  • From: luv2write@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:34:25 -0400

I have a male mallard wearing a gold (brass?) band on his right leg. He appears to have scars on his head. He comes to eat my birdseed several times a day. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything I can or should do in terms of reporting etc?

Another strange sight is a common crackle with one pure white tail feather (farthest right feather).

My half acre sightings (Kiln Creek, Yorktown, VA):

At the feeders:
MALLARD DUCKS (14 mostly grown babies, 3 half grown babies, 5 brand new babies, with their mommas, 2 mostly grown babies that were abandoned at about 5 weeks, 3 females, 5 males)
COMMON GRACKLE (Purple) 5 (two juvenile)
RED WING BLACK BIRDS 3 (two males, 1 female)
BROWN THRASHER 2 (1 juvenile)
MORNING DOVES 3
AMERICAN ROBINS 3
SONG SPARROW 2 (nesting nearby)
NORTHERN CARDINALS (1 male, 1female, 1 young)
HOUSE FINCH (1 male, 2 female)
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH (1 beautiful male) A First For Me!
BLUE JAY 1
CAROLINA CHICKADEE 1

Around the rest of the property:
GREAT BLUE HERON 1