[va-bird] Bamding

  • From: "Suzanne Richman" <suzanne_richman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 10:05:26 -0400

Even though I'm a new birder compared to many other birders on this list serve, I want to make an observation about banding.

After listening to Mark Garland on WAMU yesterday who spoke about the treacherous trip the birds need to make to get across the Delaware Bay (as well as probably hundreds of other treacherous situations during their thousands of miles of travel), I'm wondering if it is wise to cause more trauma to these birds by trapping and banding them.

A couple questions to the experts. Do birds become severely dehydrated when under extreme stress as do humans? Have the number of banded birds found later in their lifecycle show that they can survive this further complication in their migration?

I know I shouldn't be using this forum but I can't hold back my long concern for these poor little animals.