[va-bird] Augusta/Highland County today

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:47:34 -0500

All,

Bev Leeuwenburg and Jon and BJ Little joined me for a little birding in Augusta County today. We first headed west on Rt. 250 towards the Augusta/Highland County line and noted a surprise TREE SWALLOW on a wire in Churchville. We arrived at the hairpin turn on Rt. 250 in Highland County just past the Confederate Breastworks about 9:45. Within 10 minutes we heard a RED CROSSBILL calling as it flew down the ridge from us. Shortly thereafter, we heard one calling from the trees just below us and working it's way up the hill. Suddenly it was in the top of a bare tree next to the road singing. It stayed there a few minutes only to fly just as Allen and Pat Larner pulled up and were getting out of their car. While we chatted on the side of the road, we heard one again down the hill a bit but it never came into view.
We headed back towards Augusta County but stopped at the Confederate Breastworks to use the facilities. As we waited a RED CROSSBILL flew from Highland County into Augusta County and disappeared over the trees calling the entire time. Nice county tick! From there we proceeded to the Augusta Springs Wetland area which was recommened by Allen. Very nice place and I highly recommend it. Notable birds there include RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, WINTER WREN, WOOD DUCK, and BELTED KINGFISHER interspersed with the more common species. This spot has a lot of potential in the spring.

From there we worked out way back north again trying a few spots in Rockingham and Shenandoah Counties on the way home but we didn't find anything particulary exciting except a pair of MUTE SWANs on Silver Lake near Harrisonburg and some folks with a radio controlled speedboat that no doubt scared everything else away.

Bring on the spring migrants,
Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org