[va-bird] American Bittern, Phelps WMA, Fauquier; other arrivals and such. 20 Apr 2006

Hola,

I spent Thursday morning at Chester Phelps WMA in southern Fauquier County
with my father, birding from about seven AM until around ten-thirty.  We
birded from the Curtis parking area, toward the sighting-in range, and  around
the
wetland cell.  An American Bittern was at said cell  along the Rappahannock
River, only my second for Fauquier (first for Culpeper,  as it flew in that
direction).  We had a few birds that were new to me for  the year, and
obviously
not present last week at Phelps, including Eastern  Kingbird, Blue-headed Vireo
(all singing), a single Green Heron, Northern  Parula, Ovenbird, and a Hooded
Warbler.  A noticeable increase in a  few species as well as birds I didn't
note there a week ago, including Prairie  Warbler, Common Yellowthroat,
White-eyed Vireo, and Black-and-white  Warbler.  Full list at the end of this
note.

I drove a couple other roads in Remington without finding anything notable,
aside from another Eastern Kingbird, and Common Yellowthroats just about
everywhere.  What I did notice is the former pastures along Grassdale Road
seem
to have been turned into sod.  I don't know what this will mean for
shorebirding there in fall, but something tells me we won't see a plowed and
turned
field there this year.

Cheers,

Todd