[va-bird] Alder Flycatcher, Grayson County

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:10:50 -0400

Hello everyone,

Todd Day, Ian Topolsky, and myself took off last Friday for some southwestern Virginia birding. None of us had ever birded the Whitetop Mountain area and we wanted to do a bit of exploring. We left on Friday afternoon around 3:30 and county/city birded our way down to Marion which is on I-81 about 40 miles north of Tennessee where we spent Friday night. The next morning found us heading over the ridge along Rt. 16. We found a number of high elevation breeders there including CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, SLATE-COLORED JUNCO, BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER AND BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER. Down the ridge into Grayson County we found expected species including numerous WILLOW FLYCATCHERS, always a treat to hear singing. With excellent directions from Glen Eller, we found our target species, ALDER FLYCATCHER, at Whitetop Station along with a singing LEAST FLYCATCHER. From there we made a brief foray into Washington County to get a few species there and find a Chimney Swift for my county list. We found them in Damascas, home of the Trail Days event for AT hikers and the bike trail down the mountain through beautiful scenery. Back in Grayson County, we headed up Rt. 600 to the ridge along Whitetop Mountain. There weren't many birds there but the view was nice. A singing BLUE-HEADED VIREO kept us entertained. We then took Rt. 58 through numerous towns including Mouth of Wilson whose name has always intrigued me, Galax (an independent city for you city listers) and over to I-77. We headed north from there to Highland County which I'll send another e-mail about.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org