<US>The Stranger in our Home

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:56:43 -0500

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

J O I N    S I S T E R    J O S E L D A    A N D    M E

A great Pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
04-15 November 2007

There has been a lot of activity, with eighteen people signing up for the
Pilgrimage in the past three days!
We ran out of air space from Minneapolis to JFK in New York, but Gary has
been able to procure ten more seats temporarily, at an additional cost of
only $15.  So the new price from Minneapolis is $2614.

Sign up now and save $100!

Land only price (meet us in the Holy Land) is $1826.

It will be necessary for you to call Pentecost Tours to register:  800
713-9800 Feel free to call me if you have questions!  My personal Cell Phone
is:  608 769-0042

Now is a great time to sign up! The brochure and full information, including
hotel links, is on-line.
Follow the link from:  www.frpat.com

If you will be joining us, let me know as soon as you can so I can keep
track of the group!

A   T R E A T

 S T R A N G E R    I N    O U R    H O M E
A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our
small town.  From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting
newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family.

The stranger was  quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the
world a few months later.
As I grew up, I never questioned his place in our family.  Mom taught me to
love the Word of God, and Dad taught me to obey it.  But the stranger was
our storyteller.  He could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures,
mysteries, and comedies were daily conversations.  He could hold our whole
family spellbound for hours each evening.  He was like a friend to the whole

He took Dad, my brother, and me to our first  major league baseball game.
He was always encouraging us to see the  movies and he even made
arrangements to introduce us to several movie stars.
The stranger was an incessant talker.  Dad didn't seem to mind, but
sometimes Mom would quietly get up - while the rest of us were enthralled
with one of his stories of faraway places - go to her room, read her  Bible,
and pray.  I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would  leave.

You see, my Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions.  But
this stranger never felt an obligation to honor them.   Profanity, for
example, was not allowed in our house - not from us, from  our friends, or
from adults.  Our longtime visitor, however, used  occasional four letter
words that burned my ears and made Dad squirm.  To  my knowledge the
stranger was never confronted.
My Dad was a teetotaler who didn't permit alcohol in his home - not even for
cooking.  But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us
to other ways of life.  He offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages
often.  He made cigarettes look tasty, cigars manly, and pipes

He talked freely about sex.  His comments were  sometimes blatant, sometimes
suggestive, and generally embarrassing.  I  know now that my early concepts
of the man/woman relationship were  influenced by the stranger.
 As I look back, I believe it was the grace of God that the stranger did not
influence us more.  Time after time, he opposed the values our parents, yet
he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave.
More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with us, but
if I were to walk into my parent's home today, I would still see him sitting
there waiting for someone to listen to his stories and watch him draw his
His name?  We always just called him  ... TV.

Keep me in your prayers and know you're remembered in mine as well.   May
God continue to draw near to you and those you love and keep you safe!

All the best and God Bless,

Father Pat
Fr. Pat's Web Site
Reaching Out
Parish Site
Sponsor a Child!

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called ?Usual Suspects? posts.  In the movie ?Casablanca? when there
was a problem the police chief said, ?Round up the usual suspects.?  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The ?Casablanca? quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name ?Usual Suspects.?

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here: