<US>"The Penny"

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:51:51 -0500

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

F A T I M A / L O U R D E S / S P A I N

Price goes up $100 for seats that remain!

Pentecost Tours needs to surrender some seats on Monday.  The number he can
hold is based on how many are signed up at that time.  So, if forty are
signed up it is likely that Gary will only be able to hold on to three to
five more seats.  He'll have to make those arrangements with the airline on
Monday.  Once those seats are sold it may be possible to obtain seats, but
most likely at a higher price, since negotiations for this special price
were done many months ago, and for a block of fifty seats.

FORTY are currently signed up and our goal of 36 has been surpassed.  I
believe two to seven more are in the process of signing up.

We have ROOM FOR FIFTY, so AT THIS MOMENT ten possible spaces remain.

Early Sign-up Deadline is TODAY, 24 June. Price rises $100 after that, if
seats are available.

If you're planning to sign up, call Pentecost Tours NOW and LEAVE A MESSAGE
with your name, phone number and expressing your intent to sign up ... then
call on Monday to make arrangements.  Gary usually gets to work by 3 a.m.,
so don't be afraid to call early. If you call before he has to give up the
seats I believe you'll still get the early sign-up discount. I believe
they'll assign seats in the order that people call in and then make

       1 800 713-9800

This will be a great Pilgrimage . to Portugal (Lisbon, Santerem, Fatima),
Spain (Alba de Tormes, Avila, Segovia, Burgos, Loyola, Pamplona & Javier)
and France (Lourdes, Paris & Lisieux). Out farewell dinner will be in a
restaurant in the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

The brochure is now on-line, along with a map and links to our hotels! The
very reasonable price includes transportation, luggage transfers, all
admissions, guide, escort, all breakfasts and dinners and even a packed
lunch for the 1st Class train ride from Lourdes to Paris. As always we'll
celebrate daily Mass and pray the Rosary when we're traveling. Our dinner on
the last night will be served in one of Altitude 95, a restaurant within the
Eiffel Tower in Paris. For complete details, follow the link from:

Still on the fence?  Read comments on the quality of our Pilgrimages from
some of our former Pilgrims.

Charlie will be joining this year's Pilgrimage, his third with us . . .

A   T R E A T

Forwarded by member Irma from Houston ...

        T H E    P E N NY

Several years ago, a friend of mine and her husband were invited to spend
the weekend at the husband's employer's home.  My friend, Arlene, was
nervous about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy, with a fine home on
the waterway, and cars costing more than her house. The first day and
evening went well, and Arlene was delighted to have this rare glimpse into
how the very wealthy live.

The husband's employer was quite generous as a host, and took them to the
finest restaurants. Arlene knew she would never have the opportunity to
indulge in this kind of extravagance again, so was enjoying herself
immensely. As the three of them were about to enter an exclusive restaurant
that evening, the boss was walking slightly ahead of Arlene and her husband.
He stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a long, silent moment.
Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him.

There was nothing on the ground except a single darkened penny that someone
had dropped, and a few cigarette butts.  Still silent, the man reached down
and picked up the penny. He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket
as if he had found a great treasure. How absurd! What need did this man have
for a single penny?  Why would he even take the time to stop and pick it up?
Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her.

Finally, she could stand it no longer. She causally mentioned that her
daughter once had a coin collection, and asked if the penny he had found had
been of some value.  A smile crept across the man's face as he reached into
his pocket for the penny and held it out for her to see. She had seen many
pennies before!  What was the point of this?

"Look at it." He said. "Read what it says."  She read the words "United
States of America."  "No, not that; read further." "One cent?"
"No, keep reading."   "In God we Trust?"  "And?"   "And if I trust in
God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin.   Whenever I find a coin I see
that inscription. It is written on every single United States coin, but we
never seem to notice it! God drops a message right in front of me telling me
to trust Him?  Who am I to pass it by? When I see a coin, I pray, I stop to
see if my trust IS in God at that moment. I pick the coin up as a response
to God; that I do trust in Him. For a short time, at least, I cherish it as
if it were gold. I think it is God's way of starting a conversation with me.

Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful!   When I was out
shopping today, I found a penny on the sidewalk. I stopped and picked it up,
and realized that I had been worrying and fretting in my mind about things I
cannot change. I read the words, "In God We Trust," and had to laugh. Yes,
God, I get the message. It seems that I have been finding an inordinate
number of pennies in the last few months, but then, pennies are plentiful!

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called ?Usual Suspects? posts.  In the movie ?Casablanca? when there
was a problem the police chief said, ?Round up the usual suspects.?  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The ?Casablanca? quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name ?Usual Suspects.?

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here: