<US>Teachers!

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:55:14 -0500

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

Fatima / Lourdes/ Spain /France 2006
Ticketing Deadline!

October 2-13, 2006.  Several seats may still be available. Seats will be
ticketed on 02 September.  If you'd like to join us, act now!

As always, the Pilgrimage Brochure, map of our travels, links to our Hotels
and much more are available at my Web Site.  Just click the link from:

        www.frpat.com

B A C K    T O    S C H O O L

Our School starts on September 5th.  This coming weekend we'll bless all
students, teachers, bus drivers, administrators, custodians, lunch room
workers, aides, university presidents, etc.  Visit the Web Site for a parish
blessing and also an individual blessing parents can pray with their
children on the first day of school, and every day if they wish.  I also
include plenty of good links for parents, children and teens.  Just follow
the link from:

       www.frpat.com

.=:  R A F F L E    T I C K E T S  :=.
     Family Fun Fest

Our Family Fun Fest is October 15th.  It will be a great afternoon of fun
for our parishioners.  We also have Raffle Tickets available.  There are 4
$1000 prizes, a $500 prize and 5 $100 prizes.  If you'd like tickets, see
the special page at our Parish Web Site.  I appreciate the many of you who
help out in this way.  I can't remember a raffle when some of our
cyber-members weren't winners!  One of our cyber-members has won twice in
the St. Pat's Calendar Raffle already!  Just follow the link from:

       www.stpatz.com

Teachers are a treasure, that's for sure. I remember with fondness my four
years of teaching before I entered the Seminary.  I had great love for the
students I taught, but felt the handicap of teaching in public school and
not being able to talk about God, the answer to my problems and source of
strength in my difficulties. For that reason I began to explore going to the
Seminary.  The rest is history! Our teachers have such commitment. As we
pray for our children as they begin a new school year, let's keep our
teachers in our prayers, too. If we're sending our kids to Catholic School
we can be sure they'll learn a great deal about God and how He can help them
as they grow up and face the challenge of life.  If not, we need to remember
that WE are called to be the primary religious educators of our children.
We can pray with them.  We can make sure they attend Church with us.  We can
help them understand how the same God the provides us with strength,
integrity and wisdom can do the same for them. I hope you enjoy this post
which was forwarded by member Arlene in Arkansas.

Welcome back to our teachers!

"Let me see if I've got this right.  You want me to go into that room with
all those kids and fill their every waking moment with a love for learning?

Not only that, I'm to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity,
behaviorally modify disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and
T-shirt messages?

I am to fight the war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check
their backpacks for guns and raise their self-esteem?

I'm to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play,
how and where to register to vote, how to balance a checkbook and how to
apply for a job?

I am to check their heads occasionally for lice, maintain a safe
environment, recognize signs of potential anti-social behavior, offer
advice, write letters of recommendation for student employment and
scholarships, encourage respect for the cultural diversity of others, and,
oh yeah, always make sure that I give the girls in my class 50 percent of my
attention?

I'm required by my contract to be working on my own time summer and evenings
at my own expense toward advance certification and a master's degree; and
after school, I am to attend committee and faculty meetings and participate
in staff development training to maintain my employment status?

I am to be a paragon of virtue larger than life, such that my very presence
will awe my students into being obedient and respectful of authority?

I am to pledge allegiance to supporting family values, a return to the
basics, and to my current administration.

I am to incorporate technology into the learning, and monitor all Web sites
while providing a personal relationship with each student?

I am to decide who might be potentially dangerous and/or liable to commit
crimes in school or who is possibly being abused, and I can be sent to jail
for not mentioning these suspicions?

I am to make sure all students pass the state and federally mandated testing
and all classes, whether or not they attend school on a regular basis or
complete any of the work assigned?

Plus, I am expected to make sure that all of the students with handicaps are
guaranteed a free and equal education, regardless of their mental or
physical handicap?

I am to communicate frequently with each student's parent by letter, phone,
newsletter and grade card.   I'm to do all of this with just a piece of
chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, a 45 minute more-or-less
plan time and a big smile, all on a starting salary that qualifies my family
for food stamps in many states?

Is that all?  And you want me to do all of this and expect me not to pray?"

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

www.frpat.com
www.cmonback.com
www.frpat.com/fatima_interested.htm

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called ?Usual Suspects? posts.  In the movie ?Casablanca? when there
was a problem the police chief said, ?Round up the usual suspects.?  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The ?Casablanca? quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name ?Usual Suspects.?

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted
material.

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

   http://frpat.com/stories.htm

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

   www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm#us

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here:

       www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm