<US>Shirley Goodnest

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:47:21 -0500

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

J O I N    S I S T E R    J O S E L D A    A N D    M E
A great Pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
04-15 November 2007

EARLY SIGN-UP DISCOUNT ENDS TOMORROW, FRIDAY, 27 JULY!
Sign up now and save $100!

Five signed up yesterday and eight already today!

Land only price (meet us in the Holy Land) is $1826.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS .

T R A N S P O R T A T I O N - L A    C R O S S E  /  M I N N E A P O L I S
We're looking at a charter vehicle from La Crosse to the airport in
Minneapolis.  The cost should not be extreme.  I've been quotes $650 for a
van that will hold 14 people, and that's round-trip.

SAFETY
A number of folks have had worries about safety in the area we'll visit.
There have not been serious problems in that area, nor have there been
losses of life for quite some time. Any difficulties are usually in the West
Bank area.  We don't spend time there anyway.  Jericho is on the West Bank,
but even the brochure says that we "may" be able to visit there.  If there
is an area that is unsafe, we simply won't go there. If there should be
major difficulties, Pentecost Tours will cancel the trip and everyone will
receive a full refund. Gary, president of Pentecost Tours, says that most
Americans are not at all afraid to go to countries that are much more
dangerous.  He and Charlie, one of our frequent travelers, both say that
they see going to Israel as being much safer than going to Cincinnati.
Nothing at all against Cincinnati, but they both live nearby.  I am
personally not afraid to visit the places we'll visit.  My last trip to the
Holy Land was in 1978, when conditions were much more unstable.  It is
unlikely that things will ever be entirely peaceful in the Mideast.  The
choice then is whether to go ... or not to go at all.  I hope that helps at
least a little!

Now is a great time to sign up! The brochure and full information, including
hotel links, is on-line. Another priest is planning a similar trip.  It's
one day longer, but costs $1100 more. Gary, President of Pentecost Tours,
says their guides in the Holy Land are the best they have anywhere.  Those
of you who have been on previous trips already know of the excellent guides
and escorts we have had.

A C C O M O D A T I O N S    A N D    F O O D
We always stay in at least 4-Star Hotels.  All breakfasts and dinners are
included in the tour price.  And all breakfasts have hot entries as well.
They are typically large buffets with fresh fruits and juices, pastries,
breads, cheeses and cold meats, and generally egg dishes, hot breakfast
meats, sometimes omelets and pancakes as well.  It will depend on the
hotels, but breakfasts are always very good and filling.

We'll stay at only two Hotels this time, the Grand Court in Jerusalem (near
the old City) http://www.grandcourt.co.il/

and the Gai Beach Spa Hotel in Tiberias
http://www.gaibeachhotel.com,

We'll renew our Baptismal Promises at the Jordan River, where Jesus was
Baptized by John. We'll renew our marriage vows and pray for any deceased
husbands and wives at Cana in Galilee where Jesus attended a wedding with
his Mother and turned water into wine. We'll take a boat ride on the Sea of
Galilee. We'll even have a chance to visit Masada and to swim in the Dead
Sea. We'll visit the Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem too, and see the Dead Sea
Scrolls. You'll never read Scripture in the same way after this wonderful
Pilgrimage! Follow the link from: www.frpat.com

T R A N S F E R S ,    A D M I S S I O N S    A N D    T I P S

Transportation to and from the airport in the Holy Land is included, as well
as luggage transfer between hotels.  Once you turn over your suitcase it
will appear in front of your hotel room door.  If we're leaving on a
particular day, we just leave suitcases outside the doors of our rooms when
we go to breakfast and they're automatically put on the bus and will appear
again outside the door of the room of our new hotel.  Admission to all the
Sites advertised in the brochure are included.  Pentecost Tours will collect
tips before the trip.  I believe it adds up to $97.50 per person this time.
That includes tips to luggage handlers, food service (waiters), guides,
escorts and bus drivers.  It adds up to about $9 per person per day.  Once
in the Holy Land those tips will be taken care of for you.

S I N G L E    T R A V E L E R S

Our trips are very friendly to single travelers.  We've had lots over the
years.  TWELVE are signed up for this trip already.  Pentecost Tours cannot
make guarantees, but will do all they can to find roommates for single
travelers wanting one.  Some singles prefer to stay in a room by themselves.
The single supplement this time is $45 a night for the nights we actually
spend in the Holy Land.  I believe that's ten nights this time.

L A N D    O N L Y    P R I C E

Land only price is $1826 for this trip.  Occasionally folks want to get to
the destination by themselves.  Two travelers from India are considering
joining us in Israel. The land-only price does not include transportation to
and from Israel, but includes everything else.  Of course land-only
travelers would not pay airport departure taxes, etc. to Pentecost Tours,
but to the airline they use to get them to the Holy Land.  Contact Gary at
Pentecost Tours if you'd like to make land-only arrangements!

W H Y    I S    T H E    P R I C E    S O    L  O W ?

Another priest is leading a similar trip.  It costs $1000 more than ours.
Pentecost Tours does not quote a price until they negotiate with hotels and
airlines.  It's easy to quote a high price, knowing that a company can do it
for that.  It's much harder to be accurate.  This year we negotiated in
dollars, so the devaluation of the dollar as compared to the Euro wont
create a problem and an extra charge.  The price of accommodations is locked
in - in dollars. If you'd like to read comments from travelers on former
trips, just click here:
       http://frpat.com/pilgrims_comments.htm

Q U E S T I O N S ?

If you have questions that can be answered by Pentecost Tours, just call
them at:
   1 800 713-9800

If you have questions I can answer, e-mail me at frpat@xxxxxxxxxx
My personal cell phone number is: 608 769-0042

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY TO SIGN UP! The brochure and full information,
including hotel links, is on-line.
Follow the link from:  www.frpat.com

A   T R E A T

Forwarded by member Debbie ...

 Timmy was a little five year old boy that his Mom loved very much and,
being a worrier, she was concerned about him walking to school when he
started Kindergarten.  She walked him to school the first couple of days;
but then he came home one day, and he told his mother that he did not  want
her walking him to school everyday.  He wanted to be like the "big boys."

He protested loudly, so she had an idea of how to handle it.  She  asked a
neighbor, Mrs. Goodnest, if she would surreptitiously follow her son to
school, at a distance behind him that he would not likely notice, but close
enough to keep a watch on him.  Mrs. Goodnest said that since she was up
early with her toddler anyway, it would be a good way for them to get some
exercise as well so she agreed.

The next school day, Mrs. Goodnest and her little girl, Marcy, set out
following behind Timmy as he walked to school with another neighbor boy he
knew.  She did this for the whole week.  As the boys walked and chatted,
kicking stones and twigs, the little friend of Timmy's noticed that this
same lady was following them as she seemed to do every day all week.
Finally, he said to Timmy, "Have you noticed that lady following us all
week?  Do you know her?"

Timmy nonchalantly replied, "Yea, I know who she is."  The little friend
said, "Well who is she?"  "That's just Shirley Goodnest," Timmy said.
"Shirley Goodnest?  Who the heck is she and why is she following us?"

"Well," Timmy explained, "every night my Mom makes me say the 23rd Psalm
with my prayers 'cuz she worries about me so much.  And in it, the prayer
psalm says, "Shirley Goodnest and Marcy shall follow me all the days of my
life," so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

www.frpat.com
www.cmonback.com
www.frpat.com/fatima_interested.htm

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called ?Usual Suspects? posts.  In the movie ?Casablanca? when there
was a problem the police chief said, ?Round up the usual suspects.?  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The ?Casablanca? quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name ?Usual Suspects.?

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted
material.

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

   http://frpat.com/stories.htm

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

   www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm#us

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here:

       www.frpat.com/morningprayer.htm