<US>"Five Finger Prayer;" Italy 2008 Early Sign-Up Deadline; Information Meeting

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:38:05 -0500

.=:  U S U A L    S U S P E C T S  :=.
      from Father Pat Umberger

"Round up the usual suspects"  ~"Casablanca," the movie

I T A L Y    P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8

Remember ... Saturday, 02 August is the early sign-up deadline for our
November 2008 Pilgrimage to Italy.  You'll save $100 by paying the deposit
prior to that date.

If you're interested in this Pilgrimage, feel free to come to St. Pat's
Church Gathering Space on Wednesday, 30 July at 7 p.m.  I'll answer any
questions you might have and hope to show a short video or two.

If you're not able to attend by have questions, feel free to call me at:

St. Pat's Parish:  608 783-5535
Cell Phone:        608 769-0042

This will be another *wonderful* Pilgrimage.  We'll be able to visit Assisi
(St. Francis), Orivieto, Loreto and Lanciano.  We'll also visit Mount St.
Angelo and San Giovanni Rotondo (St. Padre Pio).  Then we'll travel to
Sorrento and Capri, including a boat trip to the blue grotto, sea waves
permitting.  We'll visit Pompeii too, Montecassino (St. Benedict), the
Amalfi Coast (of James Bond movies fame), Rome and the Vatican.  We'll see
our Holy Father Benedict XVI too, during the regular Wednesday audience if
he's in town.  He has not plans to be anywhere else at this time.

The trip brochure is at my Web Site, www.frpat.com.  Copies are also
available in Church.

A forward from member Evie ...

      F I V E   F I N G E R   P R A Y E R

 1. Our thumb is nearest to us.  So begin your prayers by praying for those
closest to us. They are the easiest to  remember.  To pray for our loved
ones is, as C.S. Lewis once said, a "sweet duty".

2. The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray  for those who teach,
instruct and heal. This includes teachers,  doctors, and ministers. They
need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction.  We might
also pray for those we point fingers at, especially those who sometimes hurt
us.  They need our prayers very much, too.

3. The next finger is the tallest finger.  It reminds  us of our leaders.
Pray for the President, leaders in business and industry, and
administrators, our pastors, our Pope. These people shape our world and
guide public opinion. They need God's guidance very much.

4.  The fourth finger is our ring finger.  Surprising to many is the fact
that this is our weakest finger; as any piano teacher  will testify.  It
should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain.
They need our prayers day and night. We cannot pray  too much for them.

5.  And last of all comes our little finger; the smallest finger of all,
which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and to others.
The pinky should remind us to pray for ourselves.  By the time we have
prayed for the other four groups, our own needs will be put into proper
perspective and we will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.  And
sometimes, we don't even have to pray for ourselves.  While we're busy
praying for others, God is already at work, taking care of our own needs!

 ("And the Lord blessed Job when he prayed for his friends." Job 42:10)

Keep me in your prayers and know you're remembered in mine as well.   May
God continue to draw near to you and those you love and keep you safe!

All the best and God Bless,

Father Pat
Knights of Columbus Wisconsin State Council
La Crosse Diocesan Chaplain
Fr. Pat's Web Site
Reaching Out
Parish Site

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

U S U A L    S U S P E C T S

These are called ?Usual Suspects? posts.  In the movie ?Casablanca? when there
was a problem the police chief said, ?Round up the usual suspects.?  When
forwarding inspiring e-mails I found I was sending them to the same people over
and over again.  The ?Casablanca? quote came to mind and the mail-list took on
the name ?Usual Suspects.?

The <US>Usual Suspects Group began as a separate e-mail list with..  A post or
two are sent each week, consisting of inspirational and humorous Stories and
anecdotes forwarded to me by our members.

Posts to this group are not intended to offend, hurt or discriminate against
anybody. They come from different theologies and points of view that aren't
necessarily Father Pat's, Catholic, or that of Father Pat's Diocese or the
parish he serves. Some are humorous, others inspirational, most are both. They
are simply food for thought, prayer, enjoyment and good conversation. If you
don't wish to receive them, please unsubscribe. It is not our intent to pass on
copyrighted material. Many of the posts we receive don't quote a source, so we
can't be absolutely sure. We ask our members *not* to submit copyrighted

Stories for possible Usual Suspects inclusion should
be submitted at our Web Site.

Please do not submit copyrighted material.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe right here:

You can also set Vacation Mode there.

Forward this e-mail freely to family members and friends.
Encourage them to subscribe as well!

Why not join our Morning Prayer or This Weekend List.  Full details are here: