[USS Tempest] "Dinner for Four" by Nan Ecitsuj, Aileas McKay, 5 of 12 and Byron Matthews

  • From: Elizabeth Bethell <ejbethell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:55:40 +0100 (BST)

Dinner for Four

by Nan Ecitsuj, Aileas McKay, 5 of 12 and Byron Matthews

A crooked smile crept over his face as Byron glanced around his office one last
time until after the Chief Engineer had completed whatever it was that she was
doing. He hefted a hold-all onto his shoulder, thinking that he might walk the
station a while before finding a corner to curl up in to sleep. After half an
hour of begging, he'd finally given up any hope of getting a room on the
station for the night. Too much brass, he muttered.

The station itself was buzzing with wandering personnel. Byron recognised a few
faces from crew profiles he'd been reading before his PADD went all wonky on
him. With a humph, he realised that he could no longer have Five and her friend
over for dinner. Sitting down at a free console in one of the cafés, he called
to be put through to the Georgetown's Chief of Science.

"Lieutenant McKay here, how can I help you?"

"Aileas? How lovely, it's Byron Matthews. I'm sorry to have to do this to you
but we've all been asked to leave the ship so I can't have you over for dinner."

"Er... that's okay, I mean I guess I ought to have told you but we're not
allowed to leave the ship."

Byron gaffowed. "You're stuck on a ship and can't leave and I'm stuck on the
station and can't go home! Oh this is too classic."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the connection and then Aileas
said, "Would you like to come to the Georgetown and have dinner with me here?"

"Will your friend be there?" He perked an eyebrow. "I'd really quite like to
meet him again."

"I will ask him. Come to my quarters for eight, McKay out."

The line went dead but it left Byron with a rye smile turned up the corners of
his mouth. Leaning back in his seat, he sipped at the coffee he'd ordered and
mused about what to do for the next few hours.

---------------------------------

Shifting nervously from foot to foot, Aileas waited outside the Transporter
Room, trying to work up the courage to go in and talk to Nan. The memory of his
warm lips on hers brought a smile to her face but she still felt nervous. How
foolish! she thought as she gave up and walked in.

"Nan, are you busy?"

Nan turned to greet her with a warm smile then gave a her a quick peck on the
cheek. More than that on duty, after that scolding they'd gotten from Mr.
Renaldi, didn't seem to be a very good idea.

"Not particularly," he said as he waved at the transporter stage and his
console. "No traffic for a while. What can I do for you, Nartok?"

"I kind of... sort of... invited Counsellor Matthews for dinner tonight." She
bit her bottom lip and her fingers started fiddling with each other. "Would you
join us? Please?"

About a hundred thoughts went through Nan's mind at once. He knew his feelings
toward the counselor were not exactly reasonable but he hadn't had time to sort
things out. He also knew that his feelings for Aileas and 5 of 12 would over
rule anything else.

"I'd be happy to. Ah, it is going to be on board right? I don't think Mr.
Renaldi would be too terribly happy if we snuck off the ship."

"Yes, apparently the Tempest has been evacuated for some reason, although Dr
Matthews didn't sound overly worried so it can't be anything serious." Not that
Byron ever sound worried about anything. She could remember times when most
normal people would have been panicking and there was Byron, still joking and
smiling as if nothing was wrong. "I've invited him to eat with us in my
quarters at eight, if that's alright with you?"

"That's fine, Nartok, I will not only be there, I will bring anything you want
me to," Nan said, wondering why she was so nervous. "Now, can I ask you a
question?"

"Of course, ask anything."

"I..." Great, now is not the time for you to not know what to say, you fool.
"If I upset you before...offended you...I'm sorry. I've really been wanting to
do that for a while and I know I wasn't the one who started it but I was not
about to argue..."

"You mean the kiss?" Her face lit up and cracked into a huge, soppy grin. After
checking over her shoulder to make sure no one else was around, she curled her
arms around his waist and chuckled. "How could you possibly have offended me?
It was wonderful."

Nan returned the embrace and his grin spread and matched hers. "Oh. Good. I
have to tell you, you're the first woman who's looked at me since the accident
and I'm glad. You're lovely and intelligent. I'll be very glad to behave myself
tonight."

---------------------------------

The door to Five's quarters presented itself, after half an hour of searching
the large ship. Byron sighed as he realised he was ten minutes late. This is
why I always invite people to my place.

Pressing the chime, he waited to be admitted. The doors swooshed open and he
was instantly engulfed by humid, hot air. Pushing forward into it, he smiled at
the room's two inhabitants. He held up a bottle.

"I brought wine." Wandering over, he placed it on the table that was set for
three people. He smiled at Five and moved to peck her on the cheek. "You look
stunning as usual. And it's nice to meet you again, Mr..." he said as he
offered Nan his hand.

"Ecitsuj," Nan told him, as he held out his hand. "Nan Ecitsuj, the third of
Ekalfa and Eshar's six children. Welcome aboard the Georgetown. I hope Jassa
gave you good directions."

Aileas smirked but said nothing, remembering Byron's natural talent for getting
lost no matter how good a set of directions he had.

"Directions? Ha! Such things are for ninnies and the weak of heart. No, no, the
true explorer's heart lies in simply picking a corridor and wandering down it."
Byron grinned. "After all, all paths lead somewhere. Then it's just a matter of
good judgement that gets you where you're going."

Nan snorted in amusement. "Then it's a good thing we're indoors, so to speak.
If you were to take a wrong turn on my home world, you might end up outside
when you don't want to be. Speaking of which...Nartok, would you mind if I hang
up my jacket?"

With horror, Aileas realised how uncomfortable the atmospheric setting in her
quarters must be to everyone but her. "No, of course I don't. Computer, reduce
humidity and temperature levels to default."

"Oh don't worry about that on my account." Byron smiled jovially. "Spent a
large chunk of my childhood in hot, steamy clubs, remember?" He clapped his
hands together and rubbed them. "So... what's for dinner?"

"Salmon, with mashed potatoes and runner beans." Crossing to the replicator,
Aileas gathered the plates and set them on the table. She smiled back at Byron.
"I remember how much you like your fish."

Nan hung up his jacket and said, "Nartok, put your environmentals back to where
you're comfortable. If you didn't mind eating under a blanket when we were in
my quarters then I don't mind taking off my jacket." He offered Byron a shrug
and added, "My closest friend is a Vulcan. He and I argue about temperature
quite frequently."

"Ah yes, hot and dry, if I'm not wrong. Lovely planet, have you ever been?"
They all moved over to the table and sat.

Shaking her head, Aileas poured a glass of wine for everyone. She wrinkled her
nose when she took the first sip. Alcohol wasn't exactly her most favourite
drink.

Nan shook his head. "Not yet. I spent the last two years on Earth at Fleet HQ
and barely got out to see the surrounding city. What I know of Vulcan, I know
because of Senek," he explained. He sipped at the wine carefully. Ninitchik
made alcohol but it tasted much different than the Earth versions. He grinned
mischievously. "My idea of comfortable temperatures usually involves frost on
everyone else's facial hair."

"Ah, you're a bit of a snowman then."

"Byron!" Aileas stared wide-eyed at her old counsellor.

Nan actually laughed out loud at that. He patted Aileas' hand and said, "It's
okay, Nartok. I understood what he meant." Oddly enough, he really did. He'd
been called worse in the Academy and learned to deal with it. He knew that, in
this case, it was only meant as a sort of compliment. "Byron, it makes it a lot
easier to deal with what Humans call winter sports if you're comfortable in the
cold."

Byron flashed his broadest grin before taking his first bite of the salmon.
"About as wintery as I get is enjoying a nice, warm, large mug of eggnog in
front of a blazing fire at Christmastime."

Aileas shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Goosebumps began to form on her arms
as the room's temperature readjusted itself again, sending a breeze of air over
them all to compensate for their combined body-temperatures.

"Now, now. We love fires at home. That is the place to tell Stories, after
all," Nan replied. He tasted the fish and nodded. He'd gotten used to Human
cuisine over the years but Aileas and 5 of 12 had a talent with the replicator.

A slight shiver ran through her body as she tried to take another bite of
potato. Her head began to pound and the shivers became shaking.

"Aileas?" Byron leaned forward and took the fork out of her hand. "What's
wrong?"

"Cold." Aileas could feel the Borg writhe through her control. "Computer,
adjust setting within this room to standard McKay-512," she said in clipped
tones.

"No," Aileas said. "Five, what are you doing? Computer, return atmospheric
setting to default."

A glare crossed the Borg's face. "Computer, belay that command. Set humidity
levels to 92% and temperature to 39.1° celcius."

Nan stood up then went to stand next to 5 of 12. He put his arm around her then
tapped her chin gently with one finger. "Nartok, you two were fine before. Try
to get along. If you get really cold, I can think of ways to warm you up."

I bet you can, Byron thought with a smirk. It pleased him no end, the way that
this man had been looking at Five. She's found someone, Byron, she's settling
down. She's got a chance at a proper life. Pride in his friend made his heart
swell. The argument didn't bother him, at least they weren't screaming blue
murder at each other and calling each other names.

"I apologise, Nan. My companion is ruining dinner." 5 of 12 continued to glare,
fighting the urge to sink back into his embrace.

"Ladies, please, neither of you have ruined anything. Let us finish the meal
and then we can retire to the lounge..." Byron looked around at the sparse
quarters. "Or the floor and have coffee."

"He's right, Nartok. Come, eat and be at peace. Please." He stood up slowly and
returned to his seat. He kept watching her carefully but he offered Byron a
slight shrug.

The counsellor replied to Nan's shrug with a salute using his glass.

5 of 12 nodded curtly and took another bite from the food. Salmon was one of
the few foods that the two of them shared, most of the time when Aileas liked
one thing, 5 of 12 liked another. From the glint in the counsellor's eyes, she
was aware that Byron remembered the numerous occasions when they would bicker
openly about sustenance. "I am sorry," she said quietly, her face going a
little red.

An ache started to grow in Byron's heart at Five's embarrassment, so he struck
up a lively conversation. They ate to laughter and jokes, occasionally Byron
would do a very small tabletop party trick, which always had Five raising an
eyebrow and smiling shyly. The food was gone quicker than he would have liked
and he stood and cleared the table.

"I can do that," 5 of 12 insisted.

"Of course you can, but as I'm already up, why don't I do it and then
replicated desert. Any preferences? Nan, how about you recommend something?"

"Not me," Nan said.  "That's one of the things Senek and I ever agree on.  I
never quite got used to eating dessert as they do on Earth.  On the Wilderness,
the two of us would be eating a piece of fruit or something similar .  Please,
don't let that stop you.  Either of you."

He realized that he was still feeling a bit threatened by Byron's presence for
some reason but he was also warming up to the man.  No reason to not be
civilized, he told himself.  He offered Five a smile and squeezed her hand.

"Fruit it is then," Byron chirped.  He was over-compensating, he knew he was.
Aileas had always been comfortable in his presence, Five a little more cautious
but he'd won her over eventually.  But this man had her on edge.  There was
attachment there, friendship and more, but it was new and Byron felt like the
ultimate goosebury.  I just wish I had somewhere I could go to be out of their
way.  Typing in a few commands, he came away with a platter piled high with
exotic fruit: bananas, papayas, pine-apples, kiwis, passion-fruit... and the
list went on.  With a flourish, he presented it on the table.  "Enjoy."

"See--now these I've seen before," Nan said as he picked a kiwi.  "Strange
little things but my mother seems to like them.  Good thing we're doing this
anyway since we aren't likely to see a Bajoran market anytime soon.  Should
have gotten to that really..." He offered Aileas a shrug.  "Do you think Mr.
Renaldi would be very upset if we snuck off?"

A smile finally crept over 5 of 12's face as she held onto Nan's hand.  "I
imagine that he would attempt to keel-hawl us."  Using a knife, she peeled off
the skin of a mango and began delicately slicing off chunks, popping them in
her mouth.  Juice began to drip down her chin and she found herself giggling.
"Or make us walk the plank."

Nan chuckled at the mess Five was making then turned to Byron, who looked
utterly lost at the private joke.  "Alright, maybe it wasn't funny then but we
got in trouble.  Big trouble.  Between the two of us, we managed to terrorize a
murdering bastard into unconsciousness so the XO's grounded us.  Don't listen
to her if she tells you I had nothing to do with it.  We can't even take a peek
at your ship.  Too bad, too, because I would have loved to check out the
transporters..."

"They scatter your atoms across half the known universe before trying to put
you all back together."  Byron shuddered at memories of being beamed places
with Five.  "No, I'm fine with shuttles and my own two feet, thank you very
much."  Yawning, Byron winced at the thought of returning to the station and
sleeping on the Promenade.  The party atmosphere of so many displaced souls
would be invigorating for a while but his bones were still aching from the trip
to DS9.  "As I told Five earlier, it's ironic really because I can't go back to
Tempest at the moment.  A major engineering thingy apparently."

Nan bit back a comment about Byron's opinions on transporters.  Eh, maybe he
doesn't know you're the transporter chief.  Besides, it isn't as though you
haven't heard similar from other people.  "Stranded, are you?  If we were on
Ninitchik, you'd be offered the guest right.  I know for a fact that we are not
packed to the rafters just yet.  One of us could find you temp quarters on
board our ship."

"If you could do that, I would be eternally grateful.  You would truly have a
friend for life."  With a rueful smile at Five, he added, "Though some would
consider that a poor trade for such a generous offer."

"Thanks to certain things that I had no control over, I no doubt now have more
enemies than I ever had in my life.  No matter with that, though.  I would much
rather have friends."

A sudden stab of guilt made 5 of 12 look away from the two men.  If she hadn't
told Nan about his implants, he would be happy and safe.  Covering it, she held
Byron's gaze for a brief moment.  "We must do this again sometime."

Byron nodded once and made a very brief bow.  "Thank you for the wonderful
hospitality but I have to admit that I'm rather tired now.  Would you be so
kind as to find me those quarters you so generously offered?" he said to Nan.

Nan took Five's hand a moment and simply kissed the top.  "I'll be back to help
you clean up, Nartok.  Byron, come with me.  The night Ops officer will set you
up and clear everything with the brass."

The door swooshed closed behind them and Byron found himself alone with this
strange man who had Five so fascinated.  "May I ask you a question?"  From
Nan's nod, he continued, "Most people find Five's unique appearance and
personality peculiarities rather off-putting, and yet you do not.  Why?"

"I admit to being startled when I first saw her, having never seen any Borg so
close up but I understand the question.   That aside, she's beautiful,
intelligent, and interesting.  She and I also have something in common," Nan
said as he walked Byron toward where he knew the night Ops officer would be.
"I have prosthetics in my arm, leg, and jaw.  They're Borg, though I only found
out recently about that.  They come from a Borg called 2 of 12 who was a man
named Sechen.  Her...fiance apparently."

"You found him then."  A weight hit his stomach for Five's grief.  "Whilst she
was under my care, we searched for Sechen."  Shaking his head, Byron could feel
a tear run down his cheek.  He let out a long, deep sigh.  "I hope she finds
peace now.  I am sure there are those that hope this news will bring a
reconciliation between her two personalities," he said with a tad of bitterness.

At that, Nan actually laughed.  He smirked and said, "It hasn't happened yet
and we found this all out a while ago.  I call her what I do because it's
easier than mistaking one for the other and having my head bit off for doing
so."

Chuckling, Byron nodded.  "At least she's past the whole 'hitting' phase.  I
have to admit, the first time Aileas threatened to kill me for calling her
Five, I almost wet myself.  It's quite an imposing thing, to have a Borg with
her fingers wrapped around your neck, I assure you."  His eyes glinted.

Nan nodded at the Ops officer's office door.  "The night officer is on now but
talk to the head officer sometime.  Ask him what sort of request 5 of 12 made
of him when they first met.  It was pretty funny to look at Senek's face at the
time.  Lieutenant Trigg is on now.  Let's see to your rooms, shall we?"

"Absolutely."  They wandered off in silence, an unusual thing for both men.
With a smile and a handshake, Nan left Byron at the door to his suite.  The
guest quarters on a Sovereign class ship were to die for.  He pottered about
for a while, poking into all the little nooks and crannies.  "Maybe I'll get
myself assigned to one of these next."  The thought of actually being given the
choice made him laugh.

Snuggling down into one of the chairs in the main room, he slipped a book out
of his bag but barely read the first paragraph before his eyes batted closed.
Borg and snowmen danced through his dreams to Frank Sinatra's Night and Day.
In his sleep, he smiled and snuggled down deeper.