[USS Tempest] Curiosity and the Not So Average Marine

  • From: "Tkilyle@xxxxxxx" <tkilyle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:14:32 -0500

_Curiosity and the Not So Average Marine
_by JT Swiftwind, Vevay Harak, and Selyf

/"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."--Walt Disney
/

Having a bigger office was still a novelty to JT. Granted, it wasn't that much bigger than the one he had as CO of Delta Company but it still amused him anyway. Every now and then he had to stop himself from spinning around in his chair like he had when he was a kid. The ashtray had even made the trip even if he hadn't smoked in quite some time. For the hundredth time, he stopped himself from wanting to whirl around and, instead, pulled up his personnel lists. They were getting new Marines. They had to, in order to replace the complement that they'd lost. As he read, something occurred to him. They were Marines, not just words on a screen. It made him read deeper and that was what made one particular file stick out in his mind after he had gone through them all.

"Interesting..." he murmured aloud, fingers tapping his chin. "Swiftwind to Harak. If you've got a minute, would you come on to the office? I want to run an idea by you."

Vevay looked over at Newlyn who was happily munching into a bag of gummy bears. "On my way," she said sharply then she closed the connection. "Soliel will be back in one hour. Please try not to throw up before then."

Newlyn snorted. "I'm twenty five years old, big sis, I think I can take care of myself."

She smirked and shook her head as she grabbed her jacket and marched out. "Don't throw up on the sofa."

He knew better than to think all Marines were alike. No one would ever lump him together with Alek or FRix or Harak but they were all Marines and, if one looked, the commonality could be seen. This one file, though..."Curiosity might've killed that cat but it just makes Marines stronger," he said aloud. "Might all be Maheo'o's children but this one's got me."

Vevay marched smartly, taking the pleasure in knowing that she didn't have to rush because the man wasn't her senior officer, but she still respected him so she didn't linger. When she approached his office, she rang the chime.

JT sat up straighter, if that were possible, then tapped the open button. "Come in, Major. It's open."

"Major," she said, her smirk clear as she strode in. "What can I do for you today?"

"Have a seat, Harak," he said, " and at ease before you hurt yourself." He waved at the guest chair then asked. "You seen the new files? Some awful interesting sorts.."

"I've been looking them over," she nodded, taking the offered seat and folding one leg over the other. "I'm guessing we're talking medics here. Which one in particular?"

"Selyf," he said simply "Now I've been in the Corps almost half my life but I can't say as I've ever seen a Vulcan Marine. I'm curious y'know."

"And there I thought you'd met the Field Marshall your own very self," Vevay snorted. She sat back and tapped her lips for a moment. "But you're right, he's the first pure-bred Vulcan I've ever seen. I've served with one half-n-half and met our new Chief CO but a pure Vulcan? No, not that I know of."

"Right so why it makes me wonder. What do you say to inviting the man in? Don't want t'single him out but I do like t'see what makes my Marines tick. Except for the doc because he tocks instead of ticks," JT chuckled.

"If it bothers you, sure, why not?" Vevay shrugged. She tapped her badge. "Harak to Selyf, please report to Major Swiftwind's office."

Selyf looked up from the medical supplies he'd been inventorying and responded with a sharp, "Yes, ma'am."

"Didn't say it bothers me, Harak," JT said with a nod of approval at the fast action. "but a mystery will fester and festering leads to worse."

He had only been a few corridors away and his long legs (he stood roughly 6 foot 6) ate at the distance. He wanted to make a good impression with his new COs, even if he found the arrangement intriguing if not a little irregular. His short black hair was cut to the sides of his head, making his pointed ears stand out. When he arrived, he pressed the chime.

"And festering is just not good," Vevay smirked.  "Come in, Mr Selyf."

Selyf marched in and saluted sharply.  "Sirs."

JT nodded at the man. "At ease, Lieutenant." Dark eyes regarded the man silently. In the flesh, the images of Marine and Vulcan meshed better than on the screen but still..."Have a seat."

"Yes, sir." Selyf moved fluidly to the only other available chair and sank down into it.

"First and foremost, welcome aboard the Tempest. How've you found the ship so far?" JT asked.

"It is most efficient," Selyf said, his dark eyes making direct eye-contact with JT. "There is a good level of communication between the Starfleet and Marine personnel aboard."

"I hope so. It's something I like to see. The fostering that we are rivals with the Fleet is something that causes nothing but trouble. You seen that before?" JT asked curiously.

"It has been my observation that, when Fleet and Marines are mixed in one crew, poor communication and bad 'feelings' ensue. This does not seem to be the case upon the Tempest." Selyf flicked his eyes to his own Commanding Officer, who was quietly watching the exchange, then returned it to Major Swiftwind. "It has also been my observation that it is not common behaviour for a Commanding Officer to interview each new member of staff when such a large contingent is brought in."

"No, Lieutennat, it certainly isn't but there's two things going on here," JT said with a slight smile. "I am like no other Marine that's ever been. I've had generals walk away shakin' their heads at me and I intend t'keep it that way. That's the first thing. Other thing is that I'm a curious sort of man. I like to know why and how come. Now, you can tell me to mind my own business but it struck me odd that you are the very first Vulcan Marine I've seen after half a life in the Corps."

Selyf tilted his head to the Major, showing deference. "I have never known another Vulcan Marine. The others that I have met have been hybrids of 50/50 mix or less. I have very specific reasons for wishing to be a Marine medic, not least of which, this position allows me to fulfil two of my goals: I can heal and I can protect."

"You can do that as a Starfleet Doctor," Vevay observed.

"No, ma'am," Selyf corrected. "One cannot be both a healer and, in a combat situation, a fighter. It is only possible to be one or the other. The Marines offer me the chance to be both."

JT grinned at that. "Now that is a fine answer. I like it. Calhoun'll love it. Have you met the good doctor yet?"

"I have not had the opportunity to visit Sick Bay," the Vulcan observed.

"Can I just clarify one thing?" Vevay said, sitting forward. "You actually want to fight?"

"That is correct," Selyf said, with a slight nod.

"I thought Vulcans were pacifists," she mused.

JT tilted his head curiously. "That was going to be one of my questions actually. No conflicts, Lieutenant? I've had plenty because of my personal beliefs so I can't imagine that you haven't."

"My conflicts are my own affair," Selyf said smoothly and without malice. "Should they become an issue, I will make both yourself and Major Harak aware of any problems I would have performing my duty."

"Fair enough," JT said with a shrug. Not all conflicts had to be as public as his disagreement with the ship's prior CMO had been. "But just remember: we are Marines and we take care of our own."

Selyf inclined his head. "Be that as it may, individuals still have a responsibility to ensure that their personal issues do not interfere with the Marine work flow."

JT nodded. "Yeah but it still needed saying," he stated. "Major Harak, you've been awful quiet."

Harak waved a PADD at them both that she'd picked up from JT's desk. "I've been looking over your file, Mr Selyf. You have been in the service 25 years but you have not risen above the rank of First Lieutenant. It says here that you have turned down promotions. Can I ask why?"

"You may ask," Selyf said indifferently.

"Lieutenant, I'd've thought by now you'd be used to politely worded questions or was that an attempt at sarcasm?" JT asked.

"It was a carefully attempted request for this interview to remain out of my private affairs," Selyf said. "I remain a Lieutenant through personal choice as is my right as a free individual."

JT offered Vevay a wordless shrug, one that said it was up to her if she wanted to pursue the matter. He'd look further into it if he thought it made a difference at some point.

Vevay snorted and shook her head.  "Thank you for being frank, Mr Selyf."

"And I repeat my first welcome, tehn, Lieutenant, and remember that the door is always open," JT added.

"Thank you, sirs," Selyf said as he raised to his feet on one smooth, elegant movement.

"You are dismissed, Lieutenant," Vevay said. She rose too and returned the sharp salute he gave her and Swiftwind.

JT waited until the lieutenant was gone to let out a breath and shake his head. "Now there goes an interesting sort of man, Harak. What do you think?"

"I think he's been in service longer than me and he's a lower rank," Vevay said, her lips pursed. "Makes me curious."

"See what I mean?" JT asked. "I don't have any misgivings about 'im and his record's pretty decent really but, like you said, curious."

"Did you see the commendations?" Vevay shook her head and finally shrugged, dropping the PADD back on his desk. "He'll be a good Marine for the company, but damn he's weird."

JT grinned at her, looking so much unlike a Marine commandant. "Well so am I according t'some folks so he'll be fine, if a bit curiosity provoking."

--
"I like to write when I feel spiteful; it's like having a good sneeze"---D.H.
Lawrence