<USS Meridian> There There

  • From: Jason Ziredac <ziredac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:45:52 -0800 (PST)

There There
by Lieutenant JG Jason Ziredac

The din of a ship in panic and distress was somehow silenced. Darkness was
somehow illuminated. Pain was somehow relieved and replaced by comfort. Fright,
fear...now was shadowed by a feeling of content. Upon entering the world of
waking, Jane Barin expected herself to be surrounded by security officers and
doctors while in some remote room someone beating Steven for what he'd done.
Instead, she was in a room she'd never seen before and kneeling beside her was
her abductor, her friend, Steven Eagle.

Steven was facing away from her, crouching, hugging his knees to his chest, his
head resting on them. He was cold. Jane knew it was something inside him
causing a bitter chill to make him shiver because she herself was warm. They
were just still, on the floor
of some room, slightly lit by a small light coming from somewhere. In Steven's
right hand, now hanging by his left thigh, was a phaser.

A noise came from their left and Steven jerked and was instantly aiming his
phaser in the noise's direction, a door. Someone was coming for him. He knew
it. It was set on stun because he didn't want to kill anybody unless they were
going to kill Jane. No, nobody in
Starfleet wanted either of them dead but they did want Steven in containment
and that would disrupt their honeymoon. Either way, he was ready to disable
whoever came through that door.

Gently, upon his extended arm holding the weapon, came two small and soft
hands. They pushed his arm down slowly and following was the voice of his
angel. "Shh, it's okay, Steve." His eyes slowly turned to her and his mouth was
dropped. "It's okay."

"Good morning, honey," and he leaned in for a kiss. Instead of lips, he found
himself kissing her fingers. She stopped him.

"No, Steve," she said. "I'm not your wife. We're only friends. You remember?"

"What are you talking about, Jane? We had our wedding and everybody was
there..." with that he turned away from her and donned an evil and angry face.
"...except him."

"No, Steve. We're not married, there never was a wedding...Let me ask you this,
Steve. What year is it?" She knew his answer would not be 2383.

"2401." But he went on. "What's going on with me, Jane? I can see in your eyes
that I'm wrong and that something is wrong with me. What...what is...happening?"

Jane proceeded to explain the present to him, the situations, everything. But
every time she mentioned Jason he cringed and was doused with more anger and
hatred. So she decided to ask him. "Steve, why do you hate Jason so much?"

"Jason Ziredac...Jason...Jasonjasonjasonjasonjasonjasonjason....ZIREDAC..."
Steven's head shook violently then stopped abruptly.
"He...will...he...is...he...doesn't love
youasmuchasyoudeserve. And he wastes you. You are drained chained pained by him
and I don't know why you torture yourself by...by staying with JASON ZIREDAC."
His head suddenly turned upward. "I know." Then he came back to the now and
said to her. "I needed to get you away from him..." and he began to cry.
"...because he's blinded you and you need to be forced away day nay today, and
I'm crying now aren't I?"

Steve's tears became uncontrollable and he wept frenziedly into his hands, the
phaser now on the floor. Jane leaned forward and hugged him, then gently pulled
him to her. She held him. She just held him while he bedewed her uniform with
his tears. Her soft voice came to him gently, angelic. No, she wasn't in love
with him, but he was her friend and she wanted him to be calm. "There, there,"
she whispered to him esoterically. "There, there. Everything will be just fine
someday. There, there."

Quietly, almost so she herself couldn't hear, she sang to him a song that was
sung to her as a baby, a lullaby.

This world is so sudden
and the only escape
is to lie down and dream