<USS Meridian> Creep

  • From: Jason Ziredac <ziredac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:26:20 -0800 (PST)

Creep
by Lieutenant JG Jason Ziredac

Jason Ziredac had never worried too much about anything before. Almost always,
he remained calm, cool, and collected, as some people like to say. So this was
his first time being seriously worried. Ever since those probes disappeared off
the sensors upon making contact with the tachyon wave, he was sweating bullets.
The wave had hit and the ship was still in tact (as far as he could tell) and
he wondered if the probes had disappeared simply because they were small enough
to be obliterated. Then the creeping thought entered his perspiring mind that
instead of destruction, the probes had simply experienced relocation. Though
this troubled him, that wasn't his main worry. Though the safety of the crew
and the potential dangers they were facing also troubled him, that still wasn't
his main worry. More so, it wasn't his specific main worry. His main worry was
his fiancee, Jane Barin, with whom he had not been able to make contact.

Sure that she would do the same, Jason cleared his departure with Captain
Pierce and raced out of the bridge and took a turbolift to his and Jane's
quarters, where only a short while ago Jason saw her peacefully sleeping,
beautiful as always. It was his guess that she was all right (she had a knack
for survival) and was already waiting for him, not crying of course but
probably worrying that he was crying. Then he began to think about his injured
companion, Joe Neromiger, who had suffered electrocution following the first
tachyon wave that rattled the Meridian. Jason's guess on this one was that Joe
was fine. He also was quite resilient to attack and pain. Plus, he was in
Doctor Dunton's care.

En route to his quarters, he spotted one of his subordinates crouching in the
hall. He was a young ensign who reminded Jason of Joe, and whom often presented
his work much like Joe in the science labs. Davis was his name, Ensign Connor
Davis, and he was a very shy young man, and in this case, very afraid. Upon
seeing Ziredac, he immediately stood up, as if skewered by fear. "Lieutenant
Ziredac!"

"Connor, have you seen Jane? Have you?" Jason sounded angry and frantic, and
was putting more fear into the young man.

Connor stuttered. "N-n-no, sir. But I j-just got here...so I don't know..."

Jason had to do something. "It's okay Connor. Just calm down. Everything's
going to..." be all right. But Jason couldn't just lie to the ensign like that.
He knew something was terribly wrong. "...going to get a little..." crazy. But
not so much little. "...very crazy. So I want you to go to the labs and get the
sensors up and running, okay? You can do it. I showed you how, didn't I?"

Now Connor had a whole new demeanor. He was suddenly infused with courage and
duty, which made Jason humbly proud. "I'll do my best, sir!" Connor Davis's new
personna gave Jason the impression that he had just found his replacement
for...Eagle.

Continuing down the hallway, he came to his quarters and walked in only to be
confronted by complete darkness, save for the starlight coming through the
windows. "Jane?" he called out. "Are you in here?" It was then he spotted a
dark figure staring out of one of the windows. Jason's first instinct was  to
say Jane's name again, but his eyes adjusted to the darkness a bit more and he
realized it wasn't female. The man was standing near the bed, where Jane had
been sleeping earlier, and as Jason's eyes got more accustomed to the shadows,
he had a slight shock. If he didn't know better, he would have said she was
sleeping there again. Surely his mind was playing tricks on him. No. He didn't
know better. She was sleeping there again. And before he could look back up at
the man staring out the window, he was face to face with him, and immediately
after, the little light Jason could see in his dark room was gone and he was
bleeding from his skull, too disoriented to notice the pain right
 away.

"Keep away from my wife," were the last words Jason heard before succumbing to
unconsciousness. In the hands of the man was a pipe, now dripping with blood
onto the off-white carpet of Jason and Jane's room. Jane, on the other hand,
was unconscious from a phaser shot, set on stun.

Steven Eagle was loose.

During the first power outage, Steven noticed a brief flicker in the force
field keeping him contained in the brig, but didn't react quickly enough to
escape. He then listened intently to the words of the security officers
watching his cell, and they spoke of another wave that was on the way. Yet they
didn't notice the force field malfunction. When that second wave came, he
withstood the throttling of the starship and leapt at the first security
officer in the dark, surprising him and rendering him asunder. Taking the man's
phaser, Steven stunned the other officer and exited the brig, heading for the
science labs.

There, he captured Jane,  luring her into a private area so as not to attract
attention from the other science officers. She was always so trusting of
everyone that directly after seeing Eagle's face, she calmly approached him in
hopes of keeping him calm...maybe even bringing her back. This was her flaw,
her fault, and now she was his.

"She's mine, Jason," Eagle spoke to his fallen enemy. "You have lost her to me,
and will never have her back." With this, he turned and picked Jane up and
carried her over his shoulder to the door. His eyes now slightly seemed to glow
with hatred and malcontent; they almost glowed crimson, he was so overflowing
with malice. But he held his love, and he was taking her away from him. Steven
left...and began to plan his honeymoon.