<USS Lovisa> Shields, what?

  • From: scurrdi@xxxxxxx
  • To: usslovisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:40:58 -0500

Shields, what?
By, Oridian Starfire, Mara Ryell, and Geoff

Regina looked around the bridge. It was the first time that she was up on the
bridge and not just to repair something when they were in drydock, though she
imagined it wasn't this full of activity normally, what with the radiation
issues and all. Still, it looked a bit barren. "So, what do we have so far?"
She asked as she drew her attention back to Mara and Geoff.

Mara looked up at her. "We're trying to figure out a way to modify the shields
to keep out the radiation. But it looks like Lieutenant Mercida may have an
idea." Or at least, she hoped that was what he had said. She was having trouble
understanding a word that was coming out of him. A science officer that wasn't
good at handling pressure? Great. She turned back to Geoff. "So let's hear what
you've got, then."

Geoff turned and looked at Mara and smiled, "Well I've figured out a way to
filter out the bad EM waves that are causing our power spikes." He took a deep
breath and started to get excited at the thrill of solving a problem,
"WejusthavetoimplementthisnewprogramIjustdesignedintotheshieldharmonicsandthatshouldfilterouttheemwaves..."
 he took a deep breath. Geoff had always had this really bad habit of talking
incredibly fast when he was excited. He stared at them and then readjusted his
glasses, "Quite simple really."

"Quite simple indeed. Problem is we have to impliment it on our current power
settings" Regina chimed in. Geoff just stared at her for a moment and turned
back to his screen, "Thats a good point. We'll need to see if we can divert
power from non-essential areas to try and offset the power usage we'll need to
implement the new program."

"I can get started on the shield modifications if you send the program
parameters to my console," Mara offered, moving back towards her station. "That
way I'll be ready as soon as the power is allocated." She tapped her console,
bringing up the shield harmonics display. "So who's going to tell the charming
doctor his lab might be powered down soon?"

"We'll leave that pleasure to the chief." Regina laughed as pushed a stray
strand of hair out of her way. Things were looking good so far, just the power
seemed to be the biggest issue. "Well, here's our target amount of power
needed." She motioned to the display screen showing a bar grid. "And thats the
power we can spare for it." Another bar popped up, much smaller then the first.
"Hmm... this is going to be more of a problem then I thought..." She pondered
to herself.

Mara looked over at Regina's display and swore, attracting the attention of
several nearby bridge officers. "Chief," she said, opening a comm to Main
Engineering, "I suggest evacuating all personnel from decks 6, 9, 10, and 15,
and cutting life support from them temporarily." She threw a wry smile in
Regina's direction. "That might give you a little more power to play with. What
about shunting power from the impulse power plants? We've got to get all 16
shield grids operating at 70% or above if we want to run Lt. Mercida's
program."

"You think he'll actually go with that?" Regina asked in shock. "We can't just
shut down some decks, at least I dont think so, that'd take way too long."

As if to add on, Oridian's voice floated in from around them. "I can spare deck
15 but then that it's a no go on that m'girl. Play with the numbers a bit. I'll
be up there as soon as I've stabilized everything to take stock of the
situation."