[ussbansheec] Sugar and Spice

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:10:57 -0400

_Sugar and Spice
_by Jenny Parker, Maria Wagner, Nathaniel Lynley, and Sarah Ecitsuj

***takes place a little before 'Things to be Thankul For'

Dragging her duffel bag up higher on her shoulder, Jenny wound down toward the old fashioned pub where she knew her best friend was staying. Everything felt heavy, her bag, her feet, her heart. Stupid thoughts kept going back to how crushed William had looked as she'd walked away. But she'd had to, hadn't she?

If Maria Wagner didn't know better than to judge by appearances, she'd think that most of the occupants of the main room at George's Dragon were thieves and degenerates. But she knew better. They were, for the most part, decent, hardworking people and she enjoyed helping her cousin Sarah wait tables. Alright so Sarah wasn't technically her cousin but who cared? This was, she told herself, fun and completely harmless.

The black haired goth trudged in and right up to the bar where she leaned against it and stared at the rows of bottles. "Bourbon on the rocks," she asked softly.

"Jennifer, my dear, if things are that bad that you're drinking that," said a friendly voice, "then I will not only serve you, I'll escort you to our back table." Nat patted her hand with a warm touch then poured the drink.

"Bad and worse," she sighed. "Could you make it a double please? I'm in need of temporary obliteration."

"Poor child," Nat tsked as he set the drink on the bar top. Then he stepped around front and held his elbow out to her. "Come with me. I do believe I know of some ladies who could use your company."

She took the arm, grinning at his general good manners. Man, she adored the English. "I'm actually looking for Maria, if she's here."

"Actually, she is. Sarah's down from Aberdeen and she came to visit," Nat explained. He waved across the room to where the young woman with the black and blue hair was chatting with Bill Aylesworth. "Maria, dear, you've got company. Toss the towel to Simon and take the night off."

"Hey," Jenny croaked with a wave of her drink, only barely managing to keep down tears.

Maria flew across the floor to enfold her friend in her arms. "Jenny, kleines, what's the matter?" she asked softly even as she steered the woman toward the back.

"Men are all bastards," she whispered roughly, sniffing a little. "And I had to go and fall in love with one."

Maria bit back the automatic chiding response that came to mind. Her brothers weren't nor were her father or grandfather. "Maybe some are," she said carefully. Well, it was true. Maybe some of their parents weren't married. "Come sit and I'll find Sarah. She's here because the house is too empty at home."

"If they're not then they're dicks," she sniffed some more. Taking a huge sip of her drink, she wrinkled her nose as it burned her throat. "Your brothers and Dad excluded. They're the only sweet ones."

"I can think of one or two more," Maria said primly but then she winked. "They're all married though." She floated off to find Sarah, finally spotting the dark haired woman in the stock room. "Sarah! We've got girl company."

Sarah stepped off the step ladder carefully. Those words were ones they'd used for years, letting the other know that it was one of their female friends, cousins, etc. who was there. One did not leave them waiting either. "Oh then let me go tell Daddy..."

"He knows she's here. It's Jenny and the poor thing is angry at men," Maria said as they walked toward the back room.

Sarah saw her father wave her off so she knew there was no worry that she was leaving him short of help. She turned her face, now scrunched with worry, back to Maria. "Which man?"

"William Worthington," Jenny said bitterly.

Sarah leaned to hug the other woman then slid onto the bench across from her as Maria sat next to her. "What happened, Jenny?" she asked simply.

Jenny simply laid her head on Maria's shoulder and sighed. "You know the guy's got a reputation, right? He's been in a lot of my articles about how not to treat women. Now he's decided to turn his attention to me. All he's gonna do is chew me up and spit me out."

"Did he touch you then?" Maria asked as he stroked her shoulder. "Make rude advances?"

"Oh he touched," she whispered sadly, remembering the few precious hours she'd spent with him. "He touched and fell in love and I was an idiot to let him."

She had no idea how he managed to do it and hardly be noticed but Sarah had to smile at the bowl of pretzels that suddenly appeared as if by magic. Her father knew more than enough not to disturb women when they were talking. "What did he do to make you fall in love with him?" she asked.

"Acted like a damn gentleman," Jenny sniffed, already feeling the tears again. "He..." she sighed, knowing she could only be really honest with Maria because she was the only one who knew who and what her father was. Even in the mutant world, Spider-man and Peter Parker were two different people. "He treated me like a princess. But I know what he's like. I've seen him act all gentlemanly before only to crush the woman five minutes later."

Maria shook her head. She'd seen the same thing and knew for a fact that her brothers had quite strongly suggested the man stay away from her and Margarethe. There were so few good ones out there. "He really is less than tactful," she said diplomatically. "Have you talked to him?"

The memory of his crushed and broken expression made Jenny sniff more as she nodded her head. "I broke it off, told him I was going away and not likely coming back. I... Oh Maria, you should have seen his face. He was heartbroken."

"It might be good for him to have had a taste of his own medicine for once," Sarah opined.

"True," Maria said hesitantly. It sounded so harsh, though, too much like gossip or unkindness. "How long was it going on?"

"Few days," Jenny said softly. "Maybe a week, not longer. I didn't want to end up like all the others."

"Do you think he has any idea what an absolute twit he really is? I wonder if anyone has ever told him, to his face, how badly he treats people. Maybe if you try that, you'll know for sure whether that's the real him," Sarah mused.

"I did," she admitted with a shudder. "He told me he would never treat me that way. All the others, he said, were women his father had set up for him. He told me I was different. Funny but I don't believe him. I think he enjoys hurting people."

"Maybe I am being too optimistic but could it be that he does that before someone can hurt him?" Maria knew she was a bit naive in these matters if only because she thought herself to be somewhat sheltered. She also honestly tried to think the best of people, to give them every opportunity to live up to her expectations. "Has he tried to contact you since?"

"He's tracking me," Jenny told them. "He tried speaking to my sister but she wouldn't tell him anything. He's putting a lot of time into finding me. I don't want to be found."

"Well keeping him out of here should be quite easy then," Sarah said archly. "A small word to Daddy and the boys and he'll not set one foot or wing tip here."

"Until or unless you want him to," Maria added. Uncle Nat was protective of all the ladies in his family. Jenny would count as family for sure.

"I don't want him near me ever," Jenny said firmly. "I don't want him even trying to see me. If we were together it would be bad on so many levels."

"Then tell him so and in such a way that he doesn't even think twice," Maria suggested.

"I did," Jenny whispered sadly. "You wouldn't've known me, I was that cruel. The things I said..."

"Good men are so rare," Sarah said as she reached to squeeze her hand. "I miss Kai."

Jenny just nodded and sniffed slightly.

Maria simply put her arm around Jenny and gave a one armed hug. "You know, if it's so important to him--if he's so sincere--then he will find a way to make it known. Until then, you stay here with us."

"No intention of going any where else," Jenny said softly. She downed her bourbon then dropped the glass on the table with a thunk. "I'll call a guest house and drop my bag off."

"You will not!" Sarah exclaimed. "It's just Daddy and Mum at the house now so there's extra room. Maria's staying so you can, too. It's comfy you know and you're less likely to be pestered there."

"Um..." Jenny glanced sideways at Maria. She hated sleeping in other people's homes, just in case she span as she slept. When she was younger, she's had a habit of making webs in her sleep. It was really embarrassing and really hard to explain. Even worse was the possibility of venom drops on the pillows. They didn't just stain, they burned too. Not good. But these weren't polite so she just nodded and offered a smile. "Sure, if it's no bother."

"Don't worry, Jenny," Maria said softly. "I'll make sure you have a nice, comfortable spot. One that will suit you perfectly."

"Thanks," Jenny whispered, cuddling her friend tightly.

"Just not David's room. Mum won't let anyone near it until he comes home," Sarah told them.

"I'll see to it," Maria assured her. She knew her way around the Lynley home blindfolded. She'd know exactly what would suit Jenny. "We used to get in such adventures, Jenny. It's a lovely home."

"Just so long as you don't mind me being under your feet," Jenny told them both. "I hate being a nuisance to anyone."

"You could never be a nuisance," Maria said hotly.

"Hardly," Sarah added. "Daddy won't admit it but he loves it when the house is noisy. It gives him less time to think and it reminds him of when we were all at home. Just don't disturb the vid if he's watching his football matches. He and Amaguq have been arguing over the teams for years."

"Okay," Jenny said slowly. "Maybe I really should find a hostel or something. Just in case, ya know?"

"Oh stop that," Sarah chided gently. "Daddy's the world's biggest pushover when it comes to his girls and he's a gentleman. He'll pop over to Uncle Alfred's if he thinks we need girl time."

"Then definitely not!" Jenny gasped. "I don't push people out of their own homes. Had it done to me, don't do it to others."

"Jenny, I don't think you understand," Maria said warmly. "Uncle Nat lived in a house full of women with just David. The two of them used to go over to Uncle Alfred's all the time when me and Margarethe came over."

"Mum sends him off with a kiss on the cheek and a warning to behave," Sarah added with a chuckle. "One time David got so mad that he started walking here and he was only eight at the time."

"Poor David, I seriously sympathise. My Dad was once the only man in a house with three women," Jenny chuckled softly.

"So let's get you comfortable there," Maria said as she slid off the bench. "We'll set you up a room with the fluffiest comforters and then we'll sit in the kitchen and drink hot chocolate."

"Now that sounds good!" Jenny grinned slightly, hugging her bag to her chest.

"And we've got the ground car, too. so no worrying about being followed on the way there either," Sarah told her.

"Did I mention he can fly?" Jenny asked teasingly. "Ground cars aren't an issue for Will."

Will? Ach, she's got it bad, Maria told herself. Aloud all she said was, "Yes but there will be less of a chance of me hitting him if we're in the car."

"Maria, you've never even hit your brothers," Sarah laughed.

"Her brothers have never even looked at a girl cross-eyed, let alone treated them as badly as Will does," Jenny said carefully. "They've been brought up decent. Will would say they've been loved and nurtured all their lives. I don't quite understand that bit. He acts like he wasn't, like his parents weren't loving or something. Can you honestly imagine Paige and Warren not loving him?"

"They're lovely people," Maria agreed. She giggled slightly at a memory. "My grandfather said that when he first met him, he thought he really was an angel. I don't understand why William's the way he is but I suppose genes don't make for duplicates."

"I know he's a lot older than he looks," she mused. "But he wouldn't tell me when I asked. Only said that age didn't mean maturity."

Nat was passing by as they entered the main room, carrying a tray of clean glasses. Sarah reached to kiss his cheek, saying, "Will you mind terribly if we run off home now?"

"Of course not, pet," Nat said easily. "I take it Jennifer's staying with us a bit as well?"

"Apparently I'm not in the way," Jenny said with a smile. "I offered to find a hostel if I am."

"Nonsense," Nat said, that smile still charming after all those years. "Just because my girl's grown and married, it doesn't mean that she and her friends aren't welcome to our home just as they were when she was younger."

Maria reached to kiss his cheek. "And we'll save you some hot cocoa, Uncle Nat," she said, knowing hers was the only kind he ever drank.

"You're an angel, Maria.  Now, off with you, ladies," he said cheerfully.

Jenny rolled her eyes at Maria but followed them out the door. "You're such a suck up sometimes, you know that?" she teased.

"It makes him happy," Maria said serenely.

Sarah chuckled as she opened the door to the ground car then slid into the driver's seat. "Daddy still puts on the show of being Mr. Master CPO but he's still such a sucker for his girls to this day. He wasn't joking, Jenny--he really doesn't mind the company."

"And your Mom?" Jenny asked softly.  "Will she mind being invaded?"

"Not at all. I always used to ask her about that, about how come she didn't mind the noise and busyness. She said it's because of how she grew up," Sarah said easily. "Xavier chaos was her term."

"Wouldn't know," Jenny grinned. "Being what is termed a 'baseline'." Well, it was her father's official line. Him and his children were all baselines, no mutants. After all, it was from a spider bite not from nature.

"So's Sarah and her siblings. They upset Dr. Hank so much with going against his statistics," Maria said as Sarah headed them back home.

"Poor thing," Jenny laughed. "Bet he had a theory for it though. Gotta have theories to cover all eventualities."

"Well, yes, as a matter of fact, he did. Mum did it to him on purpose," Sarah said brightly. "That was his infinitely wise conclusion."

"But then he also said the mathematical revenge was two sets of twins," Maria giggled.

"Nice to know he's logical, for a theoretician," Jenny mused. She held her bag on her lap in a tight grip as she peered at the houses flying past. "Kinda pretty round here, isn't it?"

"It's why Mum didn't mind moving here after she and Daddy got married. Even Kai admits it's close to being as nice as home," Sarah said with a touch of pride. "And our neighbors are good people, Jenny. If they see folks poking about that ought not to be, they'll let us know."

"Coz, y'know, they won't miss him," Jenny snorted. "What with the wings and eyes and..." she started to go dreamy and managed to catch it before it got too sappy. "Ahem, you know what I mean."

"What are you going to do if he doesn't show up?" Maria asked. "I know you're hiding but what if it works? What then?"

"If he shows up then I tell him where to go again and move on," Jenny informed them as coldly as she could. "If it works then... Well, then I stay a while and move on. Think I'll head all over, maybe visit India or something. Then maybe find a transport and head off into space. Dunno really. Anywhere my Dad won't know suits me fine."

Maria hated the thought of her friend running off alone. She personally was not faint hearted but space, as Gabriel liked to tell her, could be rather big and scary. "Don't go too far. We'll miss you. Stay here?"

"For the rest of my life?" Jenny sniffed with laughter. "Yeah, coz you all want an annoying goth under your feet for the next fifty or so years." Reaching out, she took her friend's hand and smiled gently. "Thanks, sweetie, but I can't take advantage."

"You're not annoying," Maria huffed.

"And you're still welcome," Sarah added as she pulled the car into the driveway of the Lynley home. "Now, let's get in and get us all comfortable."

Jenny kept smiling at her friends as she slid out of the car and padded after them, scanning the sky just in case. "Gotta get offworld for a bit," she muttered.

"Go see Gabriel then," Maria suggested. "He says that DSVP is full of activity." She knew her brother would at least keep an eye on her dear friend.

"He likely to tell my Dad where I am if he asks?" Jenny said tentatively.

"Not if you ask him not," Maria said frankly as they climbed the front steps. "Picture him saying 'I have no idea what you're talking about, Mr. Parker. This station is too huge to keep track of everyone on it.'"

"Isn't lying a sin?" Jenny teased as she nudged her friend gently. "Still don't know. Might go to Vulcan. Or Bajor."

"Well, yes it is a sin but that isn't a lie. It really is too big to watch everybody but he'd keep an eye on you," Maria replied.

"You really think I need someone's eye on me?" Jenny asked airily. "Think I'm gonna get into trouble?"

"Anything is possible," Maria said at the same time as Sarah said, "Yes." Maria laughed then added, "You're one of us even if you're a baseline, Jenny. You don't have to look for trouble. It'll find you."

"Now that's not a very nice thing to say," a figure in the shade of a tree said. The humped man stepped forward and tilted his sunglasses to reveal mirror eyes and a charming smile. "But I've been called worse."

"Would you like for me to start on my stored list?" Sarah asked dead pan, dark eyes staring. "I've learned some new ones in the last week."

"What d'you want, Worthington?" Jenny growled.

"To see you," he said softly as he stepped out of the shadows. "Though I see I've got to fight my way through the dragons to reach the fair maiden."

"I don't think I care for being called a dragon," Maria sniffed. "That's just rude. Go away."

"Never said I wasn't rude, sweet lady," William laughed, flashing bright teeth and equally bright eyes. "But I am in love and I'm damn persistent so I'm not going away. I want to talk to Jenny please." He fixed his sparkling eyes on her and suddenly they were deadly serious. "Please, Jennifer Parker, come and talk with me."

"I'm well within my rights to tell you to get your sorry arse off my family's property and I don't mean off the ground either," Sarah said, eyes narrowing. She pointed toward the road. "There. Get lost."

Jenny put a hand on Sarah's shoulder and sighed. "It's okay, I'll talk to him. Can we use your back yard?"

Sarah grumbled under her breath but she nodded. "Only because you asked. Otherwise, I'd see if Mum was home so she could zap him."

"No zapping," William asked tentatively.  "Bad for the feathers."

"Then you better behave," Jenny said airily as she sauntered into the garden and found a wall to lean against. "So you worked out who and what I am."

With his hands behind his back, William wandered up to her and nodded sagely. "The woman I love. Who your father is and what he does in his spare time really don't concern me. But I knew it would make you listen."

"Oh?" she arched her eyebrows at him.

"Marry me."

"No," she chimed.  "Now piss off."

Glancing to where he saw two pairs of eyes watching them, he shook his head, leaned down and kissed her deeply. "Not a chance."

Maria glanced at Sarah. The expression on her face was no doubt the same as hers: shocked. "If she even protests one tiny bit, I'll beat him myself."

"Go away," Jenny whispered. "You don't get it. He'll blow a fuse if he thinks I screwed up this bad. He doesn't even know Maria knows. Everyone thinks I'm baseline, okay? Everyone has to keep thinking that. And everyone also knows the great William Worthington wouldn't even blink at a baseline girl."

"And I don't give a crap what 'everyone knows'. All I know is that I love you, baseline, mutant or spider-hybrid. I don't care. Please, Jenny." He stared at her, silently begging her to accept him.

She pushed at his chest, still shaking her head. "You'll tell your father and he'd tell your Mom and where does that leave my Dad? No, this doesn't happen."

Letting out a high, frustrated and incredibly loud keening, William suddenly leapt into the sky. His cry bounced off the houses as he swooped away.

Hugging her arms around her, Jenny shuddered as she made her way back to the house. "Hey," she said sadly to her friends. "Sorry about that. Hope he didn't scare too many pets around here."

"Come in the house," Maria said softly as she put an arm around her.

"Somehow I didn't expect him to leave so easily," Jenny whispered. "Guess I'm not worth fighting for, huh?"

"Maybe he needs to go and let his backbone stiffen," Maria suggested.

"Come inside," Sarah repeated. "You can slam the door in his face if he actually knocks."

"You got any cookie dough or ice cream?" she sniffed as she followed them in.

"I'll tell you what," Maria said cheerfully. "Sarah can take you to poke around for that while I set you up in what used to be Amanda and Catherine's room. Then I can come join you."

"You need my help?" Jenny asked softly.  "I'm a dab hand at sheets."

"Sarah, you need help?" Maria asked.

"Go on then, Jenny. I'll set us up some ice cream and goodies. Come down when you're done," Sarah said with a wave of her hand.

Once they were both safely upstairs, Jenny pulled Maria to one side and stared hard at her. "He knows," she whispered nervously. "He knows who my Dad is, who Peter Parker is."

Maria let out a hissing sigh then steered Jenny into an old comfy chair in the empty bedroom. Kneeling in front of her, she took both hands and asked, "Did he say how he found out?"

Jenny just shook her head and turned her hands to show the web makers. "He saw these, worked out who they're from. Then he found out my last name."

"And put two and two together." She sighed and shook her head. "Well, he's an ass, not stupid. Don't let him try to blackmail you."

"He didn't," she sighed. "That's the thing. He said it didn't matter who was who, only that he loved me. I don't know what game he's playing but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop."

"Ach, kleines, stay here a while until you figure what to do. He wouldn't dare pester on the comm here," Maria said as she stroked her friend's back in comfort.

"What if he tells the world? What if he does something really dumb like go to my dad?" she whispered, leaning her head on her friend's shoulder.

"Would it be so bad?" Maria asked softly. "You're a baseline that's been changed and not a mutant but you're more like a mutant. The only ones who'd treat you differently are the baselines who treat us badly."

"That isn't why I keep it a secret and you know it," Jenny huffed. "I'd have loved to go to Xavier's but Dad said no, too risky, someone might work out exactly what Will worked out."

Maria shook her head with a soft sigh. All the secret keeping that often went on made her dizzy. Even her father and brother had their strange little holographic emitter that project a 'normal' appearance. "I hate to sound mercenary," she finally said, smoothing her skirts as she rose, "but he's not stupid that way. I can see him trying to blackmail your father, going to him first with an offer. To sound like my uncle, that would be a very bad idea. For William, that is."

"He's smart," Jenny warned.  "He's a prick too so who knows what he'll do."

"I'm no good at trying to think that badly but you're probably right. It isn't fair that you should have to run from him. He should be the one running," Maria said softly as she went to the small stack of linens in the closet. Knowing just which ones would suit Jenny's needs, she began laying them out. "I don't want you to feel hunted."

"Always do and always will," Jenny chuckled softly. "As Maddie would say, I'm always running from something."

"It's not fair, Jenny. You should be allowed to sit in peace, to be able to breathe in and out without worrying that somebody's after you,"she said sadly. She turned blue eyes onto her friend. "I love my father but he's too close to home sometimes."

"Too close to home?" she asked softly.

"How many times does he ever go anywhere other than into tow at Salem Center, or here, without that image inducer on?" Maria asked. "He says he's happy being such a homebody but it's all because he fears being hunted because of how he looks or what he is. I don't want you to be the same, Jenny, running because of what you are."

Slowly, Jenny opened her mouth and let her fangs drop down, tiny drips of venom trickling from each. She closed her mouth again and shrugged. "I run because I can't stand the thought of hurting someone or them hurting me."

"You need to stop one day, though. You're going to find something or somebody that makes you want to say 'enough, this is what I want'," Maria replied, not battling a lash.

"Did, he flew off because I told him to," Jenny replied just as evenly.

"Then stop running. Sooner or later, your dad will find out and you'll have to stop. Why not let it be your choice?"

"Why should he stop me?" Jenny huffed. "It's none of his damn business where I am and what I do."

"Because fathers have a way of trying. Oh, Jenny, I'm just being selfish. I'd miss you if you went away," Maria admitted.

Opening her arms, Jenny offered a hug to Maria as she sighed. "I'd miss you too but you could always come with me."

Maria shook her head. "I tease Vati about not going places but I'm not so brave as Gabriel to go out and see things."

"Why not? It'd be the most amazing thing you'd ever do," Jenny sighed happy, her eyes glazing over. "Just think of the places we could visit. Betazed, Bajor, Vulcan, Romulus... Even Cardassia Prime."

"You should see the look on your face," Maria teased. "You look like a child about to step into a toy store or my grandfather in an old movie theater. You know, I think you need to go, no matter what. You'd regret it otherwise."

"I want to but I'm kinda a coward and don't wanna do it alone," Jenny told her. "It's big out there and scary."

"Any scarier than a mad man stalking you all over the planet?"

"Will isn't a mad man!" Jenny laughed.  "He's just an asshole."

"Defending him?" Maria asked idly.  "I think he's a bit unglued really."

"And he's not unglued," she huffed. "And I'm not defending him. Still called him an asshole, didn't I?"

"But you did just say he wasn't unglued."

"Didn't," she bit back instantly then laughed brightly. "Maybe I did. Does it make me weird to like him?"

"No, kleines, it makes you Human," Maria said gently. "Somebody needs to talk to him, feel him out. Maybe threaten to pluck his feathers just to see what he really intends."

"All yours, sweetness," she smiled as she cuddled her friend tightly.

"Ja?" she asked with a half smirk, which was not usually part of her repertoire. "I'd be happy to do that but I am /not/ making him a sweater until or unless he behaves himself."

"Aww but do I get one?" Jenny asked with an innocent smile. "I tore my other one on a nail in my bedsit. Cried for a whole week."

"Give me a bit and I will be glad to," Maria said as she held up her fingers and wiggled them. "Tell you the truth, these sheets are made from me, too. That's why I know they'll be fine from anything you might put out."

Jenny chuckled as she ran a hand over them. "Wish I could do something as cool as that. Mine just come out all sticky."

"it was just a coincidence that I ended up this way," Maria stated. "A gift from God but maybe because of what Vati calls Mother."

"Oh?" Jenny asked as she threw herself back on the bed and stretched out. "Mmm, comfortable."

"Schmetterling," Maria told her.  "It means butterfly."

"Pretty, kinda like being called an angel," she mused as she stared up at the ceiling. "That's what Will called me."

"I'll talk to him, Spinne Dame. It could be that you are an angel and just don't know it," Maria said as she sat at the end of the bed.

"Nah, I'm more your tarantula type of girl," Jenny grinned. "You're the angel."

"Those are still God's creatures. I like spiders," Maria smiled. "Now, crawly bugs...no."

Jenny grinned, her fangs extending again so she hissed dramatically. "Oooo yes, the crawly bugs, yum!" she laughed.

"Stop that!" Maria giggled, smacking Jenny's foot playfully. "Come, let's go scarf all of Sarah's ice cream and chocolate."

The fangs retracted automatically and Jenny grinned. "Sounds like a more tasty plan. I'm not in the mood for crunchy millipedes."

"Snips and snail and puppy dog tails are for the men," Maria retorted as she headed for the door.

"Sugar and spice and all things nice for us girly girls," Jenny laughed, following her.