[ussbansheec] A Mixed Reception

A Mixed Reception
  by Captain Vevay Davis, Lt. Commander Scott Ecitsuj and Commander Moira
O'Donnell

     How the hell do they expect to find a single anomaly in this soup? She
rolled her emerald eyes upward, "You're goin' t' pay fer this Admiral
Munchkin." she muttered, "Now where are your bloody carriers?"      Running
another scan Moira located both beacons in short order. Okay, time to knock on
the door. "Senior Flight Controller, this is Crazylegs inbound. I believe I'm
expected."      Nasir sighed heavily. Just what he needed, the woman partly
responsible for his mother resigning from being a fighter pilot.
"Crazylegs, this is Fenchurch. You can dock in our aft bay four. Please await
contact from the bay controller." With a smile, he diverted her into Ecitsuj's
hands with a relieved sigh.      "Good evening, Commander," a charming Scottish
accent chimed. Scott was humming a little tune as he sent her guidance
instructions to get to the bay and clearance for it. "Have a nice journey?"
 "A little long to be cooped up in this tub but I'm here nonetheless. Approac
 h to Bay
 Four locked and confirmed, she's all yours."      "Thank you kindly,
Commander," Scott chirped as he guided the craft into his bay. Once it had
landed and was safely locked down, he strode onto the deck and gave the pilot a
wave. "Welcome to the Fenchurch, Commander!"      Moira closed her eyes and
breathed deep. Not matter how scrubbed the air was, hangers still had a
distinctively evocative smell. It's good to be back on a Flight Deck again!
 "Thank you kind sir." Her emerald eyes sparkled, "Make sure they take good
care of her, she's on loan from the Little Boss." She indicated the Vice
Admiral's pennant the crane was carrying in its bill.      "Instructors don't
get personal craft, they claim it's an extravagance."      "You should talk to
our First Officer, ma'am," he grinned, his eyes travelling over her craft. "He
got himself a Pimlico class. The first one off the line actually. You should
have a spin in her, if you get the chance. She's one smooth ride."      "As
  is
 right and proper, the class is named for his mother after all. The Kaneda
still has a style of her own though, more agile since they made 'em warp
capable. I take it Mr. Singh is avoiding me?"      Scott laughed brightly and
shook his head. "No, ma'am, I requested to be the meeter and greeter, actually.
It's good to meet someone with such an impressive reputation."      The redhead
chuckled, "You mustn't believe all that you hear. So to whom do I have the
honour of speaking to?"      "Lieutenant Commander Ecitsuj, ma'am," Scott said
with a smile, his black eyes sparkling. "If you need anything while you're
here, just let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate you."      Raising an
eyebrow, Moira smiled, "Your given name Commander. I refuse to address you or
anyone else constantly by rank unless they're my superior."      "Scott,
ma'am," he said with a slight blush. "You'll excuse the mistake, the Captain
prefers surnames as reference."      "Understood Scott, that works
 fine
 until you get a situation like the Banshee where you have the same rank and
surname all over the ship." She gave him a full O'Donnell smile, "Better go see
the boss. Lead on MacDuff."      Smirking, he corrected, "Ecitsuj," then
laughed brightly. "Ever been aboard a Concorde class, ma'am? We have fifty
seven decks, half of which are actually my direct jurisdiction. Captain Davis
leaves the running of Flight Ops to me with a little guidance from Commander
Singh. He leaves me pretty much to my own devices. But it's awfie funny to see
the tight look in his eyes when he sees I've changed something from when Flight
Ops was his. Would you like a tour when you've time, Commander?" Scott paused
briefly and offered her an apologetic smile. "I talk a lot, I'm afraid. It's
hereditary. My Dad talks a lot too. It's a Ninitchik thing."      "Nope, but I
can see why she's the pride of the Munchkin's Fleet. I can understand why
Captain Davis leaves you well alone too, she's the only carrier
  captain
 without wings isn't she?" She looked at the man appraisingly, "And yes I would
love a tour, she certainly puts the poor old Hurricane to shame."      "Captain
Davis has been up in fighters, she just doesn't know how to fly one," Scott
said simply as he led her to the turbolift. "She's not too fond of it though. I
think she finds the thought of being that close to space uncomfortable."
"Strange woman," Moira murmured, "One of the most exhilarating things in my
opinion. How often do you get out 'into the black' Scott?"      "At least once
a day on drill," he said after calling out the Bridge deck.   "Plus I'm lead
pilot on Alpha squadron and we do manoeuvres three times a week."      "Lucky
swine! I'm fortunate if I get a chance to go out once a week   nowadays. Maybe
you can take me for a flip when you next go out."      "Come and lead our
squadron, it'd be an honour to see someone as good as you in action,
Commander."      "Ah but will they follow a mere navigator? I kn
 ow what
 some pilots can be like." She winked at him, "Commander Singh's mother was a
case in point."      "Judge Singh was a terror, as far as the logs show, but
she was a damn fine pilot," Scott noted.      "I won't dispute that, we went
through the Academy together. We didn't see eye-to-eye on some things, she was
the best we had after Edward in the cockpit."      "Commander Singh'd disagree
with you on that point, ma'am," Scott laughed brightly. "He's rather vocal
about his mother's skills."      "As was she, Scott, as was she. But our
diminutive boss was the top of our class, and even Roberta wouldn't dispute
that if you got her alone."      Scott laughed brightly. "An incredible year,
you have to admit. It produced the highest ranking Flight Ops people around."
   "Which is why I'm here," Moira sighed, "You know the Little Boss' youngest
son is on the Banshee?"      "Yes, ma'am," Scott said softly. "My little
sister's onboard too and her best friends. They're as close as fami
 ly can
 get."      The woman nodded, "We've got the best minds in the Quadrant working
on this one Scott."      "I know we'll find her," Scott said with
determination. "We have to."      She laid her hand gently against the small of
his back as the turbolift reached the bridge. "We will, no doubt about it."
 With a small nod, Scott moved forward to break contact with Moira's hand.
"Captain," he said brightly.      Vevay glanced over, her face impassive but
her dark green eyes smouldering. "In my Ready Room."      Moira moved across
the bridge. And let the games commence.....      Once in her office, Vevay eyed
the commander then nodded to a seat. "You are dismissed, Lieutenant Commander."
     "Yes, ma'am," Scott saluted and left, deciding now wasn't a politic time
to mention anything else.      Taking the seat Moira looked up at the Captain,
taking in the Celtic fire within her moss green eyes. "Captain. It's a pleasure
to be here."      Folding her hands neatly in front of her
 , Vevay
 nodded once. "We will be rendezvousing with the Tempest in twelve hours time.
If you wish, you may go to your quarters or you may go to Flight Ops. No matter
on rank, while you're on this ship, you are junior to my officers. You will be
attached to Lieutenant Commander Ecitsuj's squadron but you will take orders
from him, not the other way around. Any questions?"      "I foresee no problems
there Ma'am, I'm quite sure that he will ensure I'm kept adequately in the
loop. Do I wait for the rendezvous to be filled in or have you reports I can
read in the meantime?"      Vevay tossed a PADD at her. "All details of our
findings so far, or lack thereof, are contained on here. Enjoy."      Moira
caught the PADD cleanly. "You have a problem Captain?"      "Only with the
assumption that my people aren't good enough for Starfleet Command," Vevay said
coldly. "Hale may be happy with your assignment, I see it as an insult. I may
not be Flight Ops trained, but I have the best people unde
 r me.
 Better, I would wager, than anyone Command sends to make them feel as if
they're doing something."      The navigator's emerald eyes flashed dangerously
with gold fire,   "Permission to speak freely Ma'am?"      "Please, feel free,"
Vevay said in a low, dangerous tone.      "There has been no assumption on the
behalf of Command that the people aboard this vessel are not up to the job. In
fact if the Little Boss had made the decision on who send out here it would
have been you and Captain Hale." Moira stepped upto the desk, "Second I am here
out of deference to your commands. If it could have been swung the Vice Admiral
would be here in person, and you'd do well to remember that small fact."
Placing her hands down on the desktop, she continued eye contact,   "Finally, I
take personally the remarks that alluded to the commitment you believe that the
Admiral has to this endeavour, and to me it smells everso slightly of sour
grapes. He has someone on board just as you do Ca
 ptain,
 and he worked damned hard to get where he is. So don't you presume to tar him
with the same brush you use on the rest of the Admiralty."      Rising to her
feet so she was fully eye-to-eye with the Irish woman, Vevay kept her
expression cold. "Admiralty, no matter how hard they work, are still admiralty.
Let him come here and try sifting through this sludge for one sniff of a
temporal anomaly. To hell with it, send the whole damn fleet if he likes. We
won't find it, it's not here. Whatever was here, has long since been dispersed
by the chaotic nature of this god foresaken place. They're gone, Commander, and
sending more people to try to see that isn't going to change anything. My
daughter..." Vevay held up her hand and turned away, her back to Moira. "Go
play at detective, Commander, it won't make any difference."      "They're gone
are they? That's been said before Captain, with other ships. How long have you
kept that bottled up away from your crew?"      Moira stepped bac
 k, "What
 were you about to say about your daughter?"      "Nothing, it doesn't matter."
     "Bollocks Ma'am. It matters to you, and thus it matters to all those who
serve under you."      "My personal feelings on a matter are irrelevant and
none of a crew's business. I am not about to publicise my family's business
simply for the enjoyment of my crew."      Moira frowned, "Enjoyment? Sorry but
you've lost me. And the fact your daughter is also the captain of the ship
we're looking for makes your personal feelings extremely relevant."      "Not
to you," Vevay said darkly. "You are neither counsellor nor friend."      "I
didn't offer myself as either. But you do need to talk to somebody."      "I'll
talk to someone when the ship's back," Vevay snapped.      Moira continued
gently, "I lost the person who I believed was the love of my life, I almost let
it consume me. For your daughters sake and the sake of your command don't let
that happen to you." She stood and turned for the door.
     In a
 soft voice, Vevay said, "Good day, Commander," before returning to the pile of
reports on her desk.
  "And you, Captain."

"If there's nothing wrong with me... maybe there's something wrong with the
universe!"
~ Dr Beverly Crusher (ST:TNG, Remember Me)

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.