<USS Atlantis> Rounds

  • From: JordanToreek@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussatlantis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:52:52 EDT

Jordan sat behind her desk, reading over some charts of patients who have
been treated within the last week.  She patiently waited for Dr. Caine to
arrive.  He was just finishing up some work on the last remaining patient in
sickbay, the priestess.  Moving over to the CMO's office, Caine knocked.

"Doctor, a word with you, if I may?"

Jordan looked up from the PADD she was reading, a smile crossed her face.
"Please come in."

She stood as he entered.  As he placed a PADD on her desk, Jordan moved to
the replicator.

"Have a seat Doctor.  Would you like something to drink?"  She punched up her
request, while her colleague sat.

"Some hot green tea, please,"  he replied.  Nodding, she punched up that
request as well.

After the drinks appeared, Jordan picked them up and moved back over to the
desk.  Setting the drinks down in their respective places, she asked, "What
did you have on your mind?"

Jordan sat down as Caine indicated the PADD.  "Our patient, the priestess, is
well, though she is reluctant to speak and seemingly in no hurry to leave.
Usually, the patients practically kill themselves trying to get out of
Sickbay."

Chuckling, Jordan agreed.  "Aye, they sure do.  The minute they are able to
speak.  Maybe she feels safe in here.  Hmmmm...have you had any of the female
staff try talking to her?"

"No, I was going to suggest you talk to her."

Smiling, Jordan said, "We were thinking along the same lines then.  Is that
your report on the priestess?"

She picked up the PADD that he had brought.  It indicated that the priestess
was influenced by the same drugs that were found in Mr. Zinthys and that her
treatment was similar to his, taking into account weight and body
differences.  The priestess had been exposed to the drugs for a much longer
period then Mr. Zinthys and it was possible that this accounted for her
current state.

"I don't mean to seem imprecise in the report.  I just have not dealt with
such archaic . . . pharmacopoeia in quiet a while,"  Caine commented while
Jordan read  the report.

"That's fine Doctor, I'm not too up to date on the information myself."  She
continued to read the report and noted that there didn't seem to be anything
else abnormal with the priestess.

A note that Caine put into his report caught her attention.  "So, you believe
that the priestess is normally very disciplined?"  He nodded in assent and
commented,  "I'm not sure if it was a personal choice or one of forced
requirements of her sect.  The pentathol type drug, by lowering her
inhibitions, would represent a lage breach of such discipline."

"Agreed, and is probably stressful on her.  Now, what about other patients
you've seen recently?"  Jordan made a note to check in on the priestess
later.  Setting the PADD down, she picked up her drink for the first time and
took a sip of it.

"We will need to be sure to see the new ensign for his physical,"  he
answered as he sipped his tea.  "I believe he is the only one who needs a
physical.  I've been fairly 'hands-off' with the crew."

Jordan nodded at this, still getting the feel for being Chief Medical
Officer.

Standing with her drink in hand, she asked, "So, how are our stocks of
supplies and meds?"  She wondered when the last time they were ordered, and
who ordered them and from where.

"They are fine," Caine assured her.  "What I cannot synthesize on board, I
requisition from starbases when we visit.  The EMH is an invaluable assistant
in such matters."

Grinning, her deep green eyes shining, she joked, "Does he do paper work,
too?"

Returning her smile, his light green eyes matching hers, he answered, "Of
course.  He's part of the medical computer system, after all."

She thought this was good.  It would take some of the load off of her
shoulders.  She could get the EMH to do the stuff she hated.

Jordan looked at the time, realizing their shift ended half an hour ago. She
looked at the stack of reports she still had to go through.  "Would you care
to have a drink in TFL?  We both could use a break from the 'work' routine."

Caine nodded in agreement as he too realized how long he'd spent in sickbay.
 "Yes, I should like that."

Jordan smiled and headed towards the door.

"After you," Caine said, following the younger doctor.