<USS Atlantis> Making plans

  • From: EnsnSaraCrusher@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussatlantis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 01:31:00 EDT

"Making plans"
By Ensn Dakota Ellis

It felt nice to be back on the ship and off the clock. Being thrown into the
middle of a mission was nothing new to Dakota, in fact it had started to
become a pattern for her, but at least she got to do more on this mission then
carry message padds back and forth. She hated to admit it, since it was her
mother
who had pointed it out, but taking the extra science classes at the academy
along with her commutation classes had come in handy. Dakota couldn’t help
but
laugh, she hated when her mother was right, and she was right about having
other skills to fall back on. She highly doubted that she’d even be on this
ship
if she hadn’t have had multiple skills.

Skills that she would gladly put a side for a few hours to work on a whole
new set of skills. Noah was thrilled, as normal, to see his mother walk though
the daycare center’s doors. Dakota quickly started to gather his things and
pack his bag. She wanted to get out of there before she had another run in with
Ms. Sota. The last thing she wanted was another thirty minute conversation
about the programs and community events that the Atlantis had for it’s
Bajoran
population. It would be her luck to end up on a ship who’s family services
director was Bajoran. Somewhere in the back of her mind Dakota even wondered if
her
meddling mother had arranged it some how.

"Come on Sprout, Momma needs a hot shower and something to eat. Then maybe we’
ll get in a fierce game of peek-a-boo before bedtime." Noah cooed in reply as
Dakota placed him in his snuggly. Dakota signed Noah out and had almost made
it out the door, but Candy -one of the young girls who worked in the daycare-
stopped her.

"Ms. Ellis." Candy’s soft tones rang out.

Dakota put on her best smile and turned. "Yes?"

Candy smiled in return. "Ms. Sota wanted me to remind you that we also offer
evening at home baby sitting."

"Thank you Candy. I’ll keep that in mind." Dakota tried hard to be nice. She
really did like Candy, she was a sweet kid working on her academy entrance
exams, but at the moment the only thing Dakota had on her mind was the big bowl
of ham chowder and  cheesecake that would follow her shower.

Candy smiled. "Good, just give the center a call and they’ll send someone
over."

Dakota sifted her weight so Noah’s bag would stop pinching her neck. "I’d
rather call you, Candy. He really likes you."

The girl’s eyes seemed to light up. "Really? I’d be glad to come watch
Noah."

"Great, then you’ll be the one I call if I ever decide to venture out of my
quarters." Both women nodded and then Dakota headed for the door again.

"You should ya know."

She stopped again. "I should what?" She asked even though she already knew
the answer.

"Get out some. If only for the reason that cabin walls tend to close in on
you sometimes."

Dakota couldn’t help but laugh. She knew that felling all to well. In fact
her last ship seemed to be doing that just before she left. McKnight had said
something about the crew lounge being huge on this ship and about it having
descent drinks, maybe she’s make her way there sooner or later. "Tell ya
what. I’
ll let you know when I get my first day off. You can come over that evening
and watch Noah while I explore the ship. Sound fair?"

Candy nodded. "Sounds like a plan to me. Well I’d better let you go before
Ms. Sota comes out. Goodnight, Ms. Ellis."

"Goodnight, Candy." Dakota smiled and shook her head at the same time. Maybe
getting out wouldn’t kill her. She had after all be quite the party girl in
her college days. Plus they tended to send officers who didn’t socialize with
others on the ship to the councilor and that was certainly the last thing
Dakota
wanted. So there she had it. A plan to accurately go out and meet people and
get to know her ship. This was a good thing, so why did she now have the urge
to crawl under the blankets and hide?