[UK TV Freelancers] Holiday pay poll; BECTU event; minimum wage rise

  • From: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:53:17 -0000

Dear TV Freelancer,

1. In May 2003, we ran an informal poll on our forum to gauge how holiday
pay was being handled. Back then, we found that a rather frightening 70% of
freelancers either had holiday pay deducted from within their normal agreed
rate, or else were not offered it at all. The full results are on our forum.

We'd like to know how things have changed over the last couple of years, and
whether the ongoing TV Wrap campaign has changed the situation.
Consequently, we've repeated our poll and invite you now to visit our forum
and contribute again. One mouse click is all it takes, and it's completely
anonymous and untraceable, so we'd love you to help us out. If we find that
employers are still not handling holiday entitlement properly, we intend to
take the campaign further. Here's the link:

http://p206.ezboard.com/fuktvfreelancersfrm6.showMessage?topicID=19.topic

2. The Writers, Producers and Directors branch of BECTU are holding a
special event hosted by BAFTA in London on Tuesday 13th December to discuss
the new government rules affecting production of UK films. Entitled 'UK Film
At The Crossroads', the speakers for the evening are Simon Relph, producer
and author of ?The Relph Report?; Larry Chrisfield, consultant to Ivan
Sopher & Co., Media Business and Tax advisers, Auditors and Accountants;
Gillian Baxter, founder and Senior Member, Baxter, McKay, Schoenfeld LLP,
Media & Entertainment Lawyer; and Martin Spence, Assistant General
Secretary, BECTU. Full details are here...

http://p206.ezboard.com/fuktvfreelancersfrm4.showMessage?topicID=341.topic

3. On October 1, 2005, the National Minimum Wage (NMW) increased from £4.85
per hour to £5.05 an hour for over-21s. The youth rate (for 18 to
21-year-olds) also increased from £4.10 to £4.25, while the rate for 16 and
17-year-olds remained at £3.00.

If you're a runner, researcher, or any entry-level grade on less than about
£250 a week, divide your weekly salary by the number of ACTUAL hours you
work. If it comes out at less than £5.05 an hour - your employer is breaking
the law. If you want to do something about this, there are more details on
the front page of our site.

Best wishes

www.tvfreelancers.org.uk