[uae] Re: bsdsocket emu issue

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:56:25 -0500

Hi Giorgio

On Monday 13 September 2004 07:36 am, SukkoPera wrote:
> i have a problem with uae's bsdsocket emulation. i've tried both the source
> snapshot and the cvs, and nothing changes: as soon as an applications tries
> network access, uae crashes without saying much, just "Segmentation fault".
> i've tried fiddling with every option, but i haven't been able to fix the
> problem. any hints?

Is this with the new bsdsocket emulation? This happens on all recent 2.4
kernels on my systems (almost Debian 3.1 on x86 and PPC). I have had reports
from other people though that it works on their 2.4.x machines, however.

There's something I've been meaning to try and not had time yet. I have a
feeling that this problem may be related to nptl stuff in glibc.

Try defining the ASSUME_KERNEL env variable before running UAE. E.g. try
something like

export ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.6

Why 2.4.6? Don't know - just guessing. Pick any other low-ish 2.4.x version
number. ;-)

> maybe it's a problem of the way i compile it, can anyone try my slackware
> packages? i've set up some for the cvs too (which i plan to update
> regularly): http://sukkonet.cjb.net/~sukko/slackware/slackbuild/e_uae.cvs/
> e_uae-20040913-i486-1suk.tgz has been compiled with the old bsdsocket code
> (which just doesn't work), while -2suk has --enable-bsdsock-new.

That archive works fine here: Debian/unstable with a 2.6.7 kernel and glibc
2.3.2. What happens on your system?

You do know that needs a special version of bsdsocket.library installed in
LIBS: to use the old bsdsocket emulation (the new one doesn't need this,
which is the whole point of the new code - if only it worked on more
systems).

Get the latest version here:
http://rcdrummond.net/uae/test/bsdsocket.library.lha