[uae] Re: Will there be a upcoming E-UAE release?

  • From: euae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:06:31 +0100

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
Verily I say unto thee, that Daniel Pimley spake thusly:
Just a little side note:

E-UAE appears (supported in Hi-Toro but not properly tested) to support zipped disk files and hard files. If you want to save a bunch of space on your host system, try zipping your ADFs and HDFs and changing the file extension to "adz" or ".hdz". Job done...?

Thanks for the tip.

Is there any special change I need to make to my uaerc, because I just
zipped up my Workbench hardfile to Workbench.hdz, changed the config to
point to that new file, "booted" the Amiga, and it wouldn't boot?

There is code in src/zfile.c to handle compressed files (.zip, .Z, .gz)
and it tackles just about any kind of files used by UAE *except*
HDFs. Patching the code to make it support these shouldn't be
that much work, I guess? The performance on write operations
could be a problem, though. Perhaps that is the reason why it
hasn't been implemented.

--
Lars Haugseth