[uae] Re: Better handling of the project

  • From: David Lowe <doctorjlowe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:38:42 -0600

On 29 Jan, 2010, at 8:06 AM, Andrew 'Truck' Holland wrote:

> There's a perception on the list that there is a 'problem.'  One that needs to
> be 'solved.'

        If i may, nobody can state that there is absolutely no problem, only
that there is no problem for *them*.  The whole reason we are having this
conversation is that the community has not had a new E-UAE binary in three
years.  [As an aside, Mr. Drummond AKA Evi1Rich has been posting patches to
E-UAE on SourceForge since he stopped talking to us; the most recent patch was
last October.]  Mr. Tufan was kind enough to offer us access to the updates he
has been coding.  At this point, what had been a private hobby of his became
[at least potentially] a public project.  What started the flood of comments
that eventually turned into this thread is that people have been having a hard
time accessing the files that Mr. Tufan made available.  Point blank,
RapidShare *IS* a problem to the users that have complained about it on this
list.

> I hear _no_ developers asking for people to help set up more repositories,
> project tracking, websites, and similar things.

        Right.  *The* developer has no problem accessing the source code, he
lives with it.  If he wants the community to be able to easily access the code,
then he will put it somewhere with better servers than rapidshare offers.  PUAE
is his baby, and i get it that we can't make him put it anywhere.  If i may
speak for the people who have been making these offers, it stems from a genuine
desire to take some of the burden off him; hopefully this would allow him to
spend more time coding and less time packaging, managing uploads, etc.

        I don't recall Mr. Tufan asking for anybody to give him code, either.
However, if this is ever to go from a potential public project to an actual
public project, then there should be a way for others to easily submit code.
Manually comparing line by line just isn't going to work for something of this
size, not to mention that doing so would necessarily require that Mr. Tufan
take time away from coding to check in other's submissions.  So, sure, it is to
be expected that anything worth being called a 'project' will have a
repository.  Any modern repository will have some form of version control so
that the occasional faulty submission can be easily reverted.  Yes, even the
one that involves sorting the code into alphabetical lines.  For that matter,
having multiple coders working on a project implies that there is some sort of
bug/suggestion tracker to prevent multiple coders from simultaneously trying to
patch the same issue.

        Mr. Holland, you seem to be implying that people being excited about
PUAE is somehow a bother to Mr. Tufan, and that things would be better if we
all just went away.  Please don't take this personally, but i think that Mr.
Tufan is capable of speaking for himself.  If anything, PUAE is as likely to
stagnate as the others without some user interest to maintain the coder's
motivation...

Sent from my MacBookPro

"I enjoy making bicycle wheels," Tom spoke up.