[uae] Re: Better handling of the project

  • From: Ivo Couckuyt <ilm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:56:31 +0100

The thing is,
an up-to-date, easy accessible repository makes it much easier too contribute.
People don't have to be afraid anymore if their patch based on a 3-weeks old
tarball  is completely outdated compared to the current privately developed
code. Transparency is key here.
People can:
- fix compile errors for their systems
- create small plugins
- cleanup code
- etc.
and submit their patches to this mailing list or some sort of bugzilla/trac
system, afterwards we can merge them in the repository (after some review). In
fact I will be look at the bi-linear over this weekend.

But I do understand that when the code is still very much in flux (adding,
removing, renaming source files) it is sometimes a burden to use a repository.
Though, as soon as  all necessary files are in places (these can be stubs) the
code should be commited, the sooner the better. Whether it compiles, works or
not. This attracts a lot more contributors.

@Mustafa: I added you as collaborator some weeks ago. When going to the
repository web page logged in as GnoStic, http://github.com/ilm/puae, you
should have access to the 'Private' url which gives you read+write access.

I can't tell you how git works and how to commit your changes (not in 50 words
that is :-) ). The general flow is as follows:
- git clone the repository using the private url
- modify the files you need (copy them over from your private collection)
- git add the-files-you-have-changed-or-added
- git commit
- git push

You have some tutorials of git/github on github itself.
http://help.github.com/

best wishes,
Ivo