[u3aavcuss] Windows 7

  • From: Ron & Rosemary M - U3A <ronandrosemary62-u3a@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: U3A CUSS Group <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:34:44 +0000 (GMT)

Good evening

It was back in the winter I reported to Cuss that I had a problem with my
Windows XP computer and that I would come back with any solution. The problem
proved a little more than I had expected as the hard drive controller on the
mother-board had ceased to function. Thankfully I had all my data backed up and
it has all been restored onto a new Windows 7 machine. The inconvenience was
not too great as I am also using a laptop running Windows Vista so I could keep
track of my personal and U3A things.

Now that I am up and running with a nice new Windows 7 PC I think I can
truthfully say Microsoft seem to have come up with a good system. Firstly you
do not have to run Internet Explorer, they give you a choice and I am happy
with Google Chrome. Settings are more user-friendly. The whole thing seems
“lighter” without so many added programs, these you can download if you want
them.

One addition is the Action Centre; this gives an icon with a flag and runs an
automatic diagnostic system in the background. If there are any issues this
opens up a trouble shooter which tries to solve the problem. So far I have used
this once to sort out a resolution issue when connecting the PC to my TV. Up
popped the diagnostics with three suggested solutions and an explanation. On
making my choice all the relevant settings were made and a record kept, quite
impressive.

I gather this Action Centre is now available in beta form for use with XP and
it might be of interest to members. There is an interesting article on the BBC
News site and also Microsoft’s own site.

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/Features

Another interesting feature is the ease of networking with other PC’s. Windows
7 includes an impressive Home Network feature which found my laptop without
human intervention! I was quite surprised to see my laptop in the network
without even asking, something I never achieved with XP. These features are
highlighted on the Microsoft web site.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features

Regards Ron Meadowcroft :-)