[u3aavcuss] Re: Lost Folder!

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:35:37 -0000

Three options:

1) Look in the Recycle Bin - you may have inadvertently deleted the folder.
Easily done. (If so it a simple restore)

2) look in 'nearby' folders - it is easy to drag a folder into another
folder and it 'disappears' from sight although quite safely stored

3) something odd happened!

So, for cases 2 & 3 a search party is called for.

There are several search methods in XP and Vista but all are slow and some
rely on having filespace indexing running a thing that is often turned off
and usually only indexes folders where you would expect to store files which
may not be where this folder has got to. So rather than try to describe all
the alternatives I shall instead take you back to the arcane ways of the DOS
(Disk Operating System), the forerunner of all the many versions of Windows
we've had for a solution. DOS remains in almost the same form as in the
early 90's skulking in the background. For some tasks it is very effective
and in this case could help you out of a hole very quickly.

We will run a program (XP and Vista) called the Command Prompt and enter
some simple DOS commands and, hopefully find you errant files.

Hit the Start button and type Command Prompt (Vista) or search through All
Programs, probably under System Tools (XP) - this will open a small black
window (we didn't have colour in those days!) which you can size downwards
but not much sideways (screens were 80 fixed-width characters wide then!) On
my PC I see several lines ending up with one like:

C:\Users\Mike Bean>

In the stuff below I shall use (Enter) to mean hit the Enter key and ask you
to type the text on lines starting with > (do not type the >)

>CD \ (Enter)

OR   if the files are potentially on another drive (say E)

>E: (Enter)

THEN

>DIR /S "good  neighbours accounts.doc"  (Enter)

where "good  neighbours accounts.doc" is the full name of one of the files
you seek

OR

>DIR /S "good nei*.doc" (Enter)

where "good nei" are the first characters of the file you seek and the *
means any number of any following characters match)

In a minute or so this will have searched the whole drive and listed the
full path to any files that match your description.

NOTE

If you hash up a command it is better to abandon it by hitting Ctrl C as DOS
editing is weird!

Also, if you want to stop DOS doing something you've started Ctrl C will
terminate that too.

Play in Command Prompt with care as, using other commands, you can make a
right mess of your machine - DIR is, however, quite safe.

For the adventurous the HELP command lists the DOS commands and what they do
and HELP /DIR (or any other command) will tell you how to use that command.

For continued fun look up BAT files (a sort of DOS programming) in Google
... only for the real nerds!

IN SUMMARY

Your search could be as simple as:

Start the Command Prompt screen