[tugs] WELCOME TO TUGS!

  • From: v.domitrovic@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:53:44 -0400

As TUGS president for 2006-2007, I would like to extend you a warm welcome to the new school year and TUGS!

We host all sorts of events: career days, grad seminars, Geolunches,
pub nights and socials.

TUGS is located in SS613 in the basement of Sid Smith across from the
cafeteria. We sell pop for 75 cents and old mid terms for $1. We also
have information about classes and careers in Geography. Come check it
out!

http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/info/tugs/index.htm ---- will be updated shortly!

1. TUGS General Meeting
2. TUGS By-Election
3. UofT Career Fair
4. Sustainable Food Launch at the University of Toronto
5. Dept. of Geography Intersections Speakers' Series

1. TUGS general meeting and by-election will be held on:
Thursday, September 28 2006 3-4pm SS613.
Snacks and refreshments will be served!

2. TUGS Fall by-elections: nominations close Wednesday September 27 2006 at 5pm. Nomination forms can be picked up outside the TUGS office on the bulletin board. Completed forms must be returned to the TUGS office or slipped under the door if closed.

Positions available: Secretary, Treasurer, Academic Coordinator,
Advertising Officer, Technical Officer, Year Reps.

Elections will be held at the TUGS general meeting on Thursday,
September 28 2006 3-4pm SS613.

3. UofT Career Fair:

Come to the largest career fair on campus. Over 100 organizations will
be at University College over a four-day period to meet with U of T
students.

September 18 - Life Sciences and Commerce
September 19 - Arts, Social Science and Commerce
September 20 - Information Technology

U of T student ID is required to attend the event. Business attire is
recommended. For a list of organizations attending each day and tips
on how to prepare, please visit the Career Centre website at
www.careers.utoronto.ca. Career Information Days is jointly organized
by the University of Toronto Career Centre and AIESEC-Toronto.
Information is available at:
http://www.careers.utoronto.ca/stuhome.asp?tr=

4. Sustainable Food Launch at the University of Toronto

On September 19 the University of Toronto will officially become the first Canadian university to make a commitment to bring local sustainable food to campus. We are proud to participate in the ground-breaking program and hope that you will join us at the at 10am on September 19 on Hart House Circle to officially launch the program and to taste some of the creations that UofT chefs are making with Local Flavour Plus certified food.

Local Flavour Plus (LFP) is a non-profit organization that brings
farmers and consumers to the table to share in the benefits of
environmentally and socially responsible food production. We are
committed to building and fostering local sustainable food systems by
certifying farmers and processors and linking them with local
purchasers.

5. The Dept. of Geography Intersections Speakers' Series and the F. Ross Johnson Distinguished Speaker Series of the Centre for the Study of the United States, University of Toronto, co-present:

?The World is Not Flat: On Escaping Idiotic Geographies of Globalization?

Speaker:  Dr. Matthew Sparke, Professor of Geography and International
Studies at the University of Washington in Seattle

          Friday, September 22, 2006
          2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
          Sidney Smith Hall, room 2125

This presentation offers a critique of dominant imaginative geographies of
globalization.  In particular, it examines the influential example of
Thomas Friedman?s view that the world is flat. Showing how this
globalist vision  illustrates the totalizing neoliberal ideology of a
TINA-tout, the presentation also makes the case that the biopolitical
fashioning of this flat world imaginist geography must also be
understood in terms of the everyday practices and movements of the
business class.

Matthew Sparke is a Professor of Geography and International Studies
at the University of Washington in Seattle.

For more information see: http://faculty.washington.edu/sparke/

Thank you,

Vesna Domitrovic
TUGS President 2006-2007