[tugs] Toronto: Premiere Screening of "The University and the Global City"?

  • From: tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: FreeLists Listserve <tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 21:53:28 -0400

Hello!

How would you like to attend the premiere screening of "Where the Sidewalk Begins: The University and the Global City"? It is a new documentary exploring the roles, relationships and development of cities and universities in the context of the "global city" concept. On behalf of CURL, York University and Cinemars, I would like to extend an invitation to you for this event.

I've attached the official invitation with all the information. Please RSVP and direct ALL questions to Joanne Rappaport at JRappaport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx by June 8th.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Katie Johns

------------------------------

PLAIN TEXT FROM PDF

INVITATION
The Collaborative Urban Research Laboratory,
York University and Cinemars present:

A new documentary film
Written by Mars Horodyski & Peer Zumbansen
Directed by Mars Horodyski

In global cities ? such as Toronto, New York,Mumbai or Sao Paulo universities are in dialogue and contestation with their transnational urban environment, often mirroring the city?s experiences and experimentation with questions of access, identity and competition. As we move further into the 21st century knowledge society, methods of generating, disseminating and implementing knowledge have become survival questions for city governments and universities alike. This documentary traces the parallel histories of Toronto and York University through the latter half of the 20thcentury, and examines the city?s and the university?s challenges in our fast-evolving globalizing world.

CURL is a research program of the Critical Research Laboratory. Please visit our website at: www.criticalresearchlab.org

Screening:
Wednesday 17 June 2009, 8 pm, Price Family Cinema, York University,
4700 Keele Street, Toronto.

Reception/Introduction:
Wednesday 17 June, 7 pm, CIBC Lobby,
Price Family Cinema.