[tugs] Top Ten Office Energy Savers

  • From: "Daniel Stevens" <daniel.stevens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:41:49 -0500

Top Ten Office Energy Savers

Hey kids!  So we?ve already lectured you on:
- Top ten Home Energy Savers (www.eneract.org/energytips.pdf)
- Top Ten Energy Savers for Tenants (www.EnerACT.org/rtopten.pdf)
- and Green Gifts (www.EnerACT.org/greengifts.pdf)

This class will cover everything you needed to know about saving energy
at the office.  These tips come in light of the recent articles which
say that leaving the City of Toronto?s 14,000 computers on all night
cost the City $3.7million.  None of us really have that kind of money to
burn, do we?

And whodathunk that it?d be this easy?!

But first, EnerACT is please to co-sponsor a public discussion and ideas

forum entitled ?POWER ? Canada Confronts the Fossil Age? with Gordon
Laird
(author: POWER ? Journeys Across an Energy Nation) at City Hall on
February 28.  If this turns you on, click here:
www.EnerACT.org/gordon.htm.

And after you?ve forwarded these tips on to your boss and friends, why
don?t you take a minute (no, really ? it only takes a minute!) to help
us build our Public Education and Awareness Strategy (PEAS) into one
that is strong and relevant to you.  Click here:
www.EnerACT.org/survey.htm.

Top Ten Office Energy Savers:

1. As you may have guessed ? turn off your computer!  A single computer,

left on at nights and weekends, can rack up a $95 per year bill.  So,
power down your computer when you leave for the day AND set it to
suspend mode (or at least turn off your monitor) when you leave for
extended periods like

lunch.  Click this link: www.EnerACT.org/howto.htm to learn how to turn
on your computer?s ?Suspend Mode? feature.

2. Setting winter thermostat levels to 20-21 degrees Celsius and summer
levels to 23-25 degrees Celsius can save up to 5% on electricity and gas

bills.

3. Understanding your body and your surroundings play a big role in your

comfort at the office.  If you tend to feel cold faster than most
others, dress more warmly.  Remember that the middle of buildings tend
to be warmer than the outer offices.

4. Lighting also plays a big role in energy savings.  Avoid using
incandescents at your desk ? flourescents (as we?ve been harping over
and over in the past months) are much more efficient and last longer
than incandescents.

5. Turn off lights when you leave a room ? the effects on energy use and

light-bulb life when turning the light back on are negligible.  At the
same time, many areas are over lit for the usage ? use task-lighting and
turn off unnecessary lights.

6. Of course, TURN OFF YOUR LIGHTS AT NIGHT AND OVER WEEKENDS!  Need we
say more?  Well maybe just this: each hour that ONE flourescent tube is
turned off will save approximately $1.15.

7. That new office kitchen is great, eh!  Sure, but office appliances
left on when not in use can cost a great deal.  Unplug in-frequently
used appliances like TVs, hotplates, coffee makers, etc.  If you are the
last one out, be sure to turn off photocopiers and other appliances.
One photocopier left on can cost approximately $60 per year.

8. Got a vending machine in your office?  Handy little device!  But what
we? d like to know: what is the need for that big bright light behind
the front panel when the vending machine is already located in a
well-lit area? Talk to your vending machine provider about removing that
light.  Better yet,

talk to them about the ?Vending Miser? or similar products.

9.  Did you know that garbage = energy?  Well, you do now.  Bring your
food in re-usable containers.  And remember that brand new kitchen?
Well, make use of it ? take plates and mugs with you when you go to the
building caféteria or coffee shop.  Better yet ? buy one of those sexy
travel-mugs:
they?re cheap, attractive and easy to carry.

10.  Recycle one-sided paper.  This is a great idea for use in internal
files, fax coversheets and notepads.  Hint: flatten any sheet of paper
that just came out of a printer or fax machine for at least 24 hours
before re-using in your photocopier.  This will eliminate any
possibility of paper jams.  You?d be surprised at how much paper your
office wastes!

That?s it!  Now we?d like you to tell us what you?d like read about next

month.  The relationship between waste and energy?  EnerGuide and ENERGY

STAR for Dummies?  Have a question that?s been bugging you?  Have
comments on any of our previous conservation tips?  We?d especially like
to hear the experiences of those who have implemented some of our tips.
So get in touch with us!

For a printable, formatted version of this list, visit our website -
www.EnerACT.org - and follow the link from the home page.  Also, visit
our website to take a look at our 2001-2002 Business Directory of
environmental services in Toronto, our newsletters and other great
resources!
"subscribe" in the subject line. To be removed from this list, send an
email to <info@xxxxxxxxxxx> with "remove" in the subject line.

Energy Action Council of Toronto (EnerACT)
"Agents of Change for Conservation and Renewable Energy"
2 - 292 Merton Street
Toronto, ON   M4S 1A9
Web: www.eneract.org
Ph: (416)488-3966