[tugs] TUGS Luncheon Tomorrow, Meeting, Lecture, Buy Nothing Day

  • From: wilfred.haufe@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:38:45 -0500

                   *T*U*G*S*

                 is having our

              "End of Year Social"

         WITH FOOD AND DRINK A PLENTY!!!

        And we'd like to see you there!!

WHERE: Sid Smith 2124A
WHEN:  Thursday, November 27,2003
TIME:  12 noon to 2pm

Investing in the Urban Environment:
City and Nature in China's Reform

with Alana Boland
Department of Geography

University of Toronto
Friday, November 28, 2003
2:00 - 3:30 p.m.

Munk Centre for International Studies
North House - Room 108N
1 Devonshire Place

Professor Boland's research interests are in the areas of environment and
development, political geography, and the geography of China. Most recently she
has focused on urban water policy in China's largest cities and the changing
roles of state and market institutions in the management of resources and in
the provision of public services. Her publications include Feeding Fears:
Competing Discourses of Interdependency, Sovereignty, and China's Food Security
and The Three Gorges Debate and Scientific Decision-Making in China.

Hosted by: Asian Institute
Co-sponsored by: Department of Geography

*************************************
         TUGS End of Term
          GENERAL MEETING
      ***Plus By-election***
         Wed. Dec. 3, 2003
              5:00pm
   Location: Sid Smith, Rm 2124A

TUGS is announcing a by-election for
          FIRST YEAR REP
Nomination forms can be picked up at
      the TUGS office, SS613
        Due Dec. 2, 1:00pm
   Election Date: Dec 3, 5:00pm
        at General Meeting
*************************************

International Buy Nothing Day!

The rally will occur at Toronto?s Eaton
Centre, on the evening of Friday November 28th, 2003!

  The event will promote smarter and more sustainable consumption, and
encourage the breaking down of the barriers between the commodities that we
consume and the resulting social and environemntal consequences.

BRING SOUNDS! BRING DANCING! BRING CONCIOUSNESS!

In the spirit of raising awareness and good vibes at UofT (st george campus) ,
let's have a party before we make our way down to main Buy Nothign Day event!

The plan is to meet infront of UC(University College) at 1:30 and then we'll
dance around, drum up some anti-corporatism and talk to people on the way as
we make our way to Young and Dundas...

If you want to meet up around 1:30, email back if you want, so we know to wait
for you.  If class is too important to miss...(which class!!)...then PLEASE
come down afterwards, whenever you can to the below location.

This event is always a wonderful way to network, raise tremendous awareness
and
build community!

*******TELL ALL YOUR CLASSES AND FRIENDS =)**********

Below is some 'official' info:

Here are the details:

Event: International Buy Nothing Day
Date: Friday November 28th, 2003
Time: 3:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Location: Opening at Yonge and Dundas Square, and intro speech by Greenpower
Executive Director, Michael Manulak.  The Rally will then commence at 4 p.m.
at locations in front of Toronto?s Eaton Centre.

At the rally, we are hoping to facilitate a little potluck, so we are inviting
those who attend to bring some food to share with anyone and everyone.