[tugs] TUGS Digest for February 1, 2008

  • From: tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:46:30 -0500

TUGS Digest for February 1, 2008

Please see below for updates:

1. Movie Night - Tuesday, Feb 4th - 6pm
2. Graduate Seminar - RESCHEDULED
3. Class Reps Needed
4. Geography Talent Night - March 5th - 7pm

Stay tuned for more upcoming events.

1.

MOVIE NIGHT - A CRUDE AWAKENING: THE OIL CRASH

TUGS will be hosting a movie night on Tuesday, Feb 4th at 6pm in
Sidney Smith 2125.

Our film selection is A Crude Awakening. Produced and directed by
award-winning European journalists and filmmakers Basil Gelpke
and Ray McCormack, it tells the story of how our civilization?s
addiction to oil puts it on a collision course with geology.
Compelling, intelligent, and highly entertaining, the film visits
with the world?s top experts and comes to a startling, but logical
conclusion ? our industrial society, built on cheap and readily
available oil, must be completely re-imagined and overhauled.

2.

GRADUATE SEMINAR - RESCHEDULED

Our graduate seminar will be rescheduled due to a conflict. Please
stay tuned for more details.

3.

CLASS REPS NEEDED

TUGS is looking for class reps to pass along important event
information in undergraduate classes. Please contact us at
tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you are interested!

4.

GEOGRAPHY TALENT NIGHT

The rumours are true, the time has arrived for you to showcase your amazing
hidden talents and delight in the unexpected gems hidden under the
the grim winter exteriors of your colleagues. So dust off your instruments,
costumes, party tricks, and secret super-powers because Wednesday March 5th
is the first

GEOGRAPHY TALENT NIGHT*

Wednesday March 5th
Doors 7:00
Show 8:00
The Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave.

For those interested in performing, whether your talent is real, imagined,
or just plain farcical, send expressions of interest to
lindsay.stephens@xxxxxxxxxxx or scott.prudham@xxxxxxxxxxx by Feb 15th (let
us know quickly, as we only have one night, and once the line up is full you
will have to wait at least another year to reveal your secret identity.)

Final confirmation and technical requirements will be needed by Friday
February 22.

Note:  The event is sponsored and partially funded by GGAPSS.  Additional
contributions may be sought, particularly from non-grads, on an ability to
pay basis, the night of the event.  Suggested contribution is $10. There
will be a cash bar.

* Actual talent, however defined (and at least one sketch comedy concerning
the ontology of talent seems appropriate) is not required.  Creativity,
however, well, we all know that is a must these days.

Sidney Smith Hall, Room 613