[tugs] TUGS Digest - April 7th, 2008

  • From: tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:35:13 -0400

TUGS Digest - April 7th, 2008

News & Events: (See Below For Details)

1. TUGS Thank You

2. EASSU presents:"The Finishing Line"-Beijing Olympics Panel Talk - April 10th

3. Job Opportunity

1. TUGS would like to thank you all for coming out to all of our events this year. We had a great time and a lot of fun. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed having you.

For those of you interested in getting more involved in the TUGS executive, there are still positions open for the 2008-09 academic year, and we would like to encourage you to fill out an application form either this summer or in the fall.

TUGS would like to thank you once again and wish you luck on your upcoming exams!

~TUGs executive

2. EASSU presents:

"THE FINISHING LINE": How sustainable are China's urban, environmental, and
 political policies surrounding Beijing Olympics 2008?

 History Conference Room (Sidney Smith 2098)

 Thursday April 10 4:30-7:30 PM
 4:30-6:00 Panel Talk
 6:00-7:00 Q&A and Discussion

 Speakers include Professor Adrian Blackwell from the Faulty of Architecture
 Landscape and Design, Professor Alana Boland from the Department of
 Geography, and Professor Victor Falkenheim from the Department of Political
 Science, of which all are from the University of Toronto.

 Discussant: Jimmy Vuong (University of Toronto)
  You can RSVP at "The Finishing Line" on
 Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=10237017899>.

 Speaker Profiles:

 *Prof. Adrian Blackwell (Faculty of Architecture Landscape and Design,
 University of Toronto)*
 Adrian Blackwell is an artist and urban and architectural designer, whose
 work focuses on the spaces and forces of uneven development produced through
 processes of Postfordist urbanization. He co-curated the exhibition and
 publication Detours: Tactical Approaches to Urbanization in China with Pei
 Zhao and is currently doing research on Chinese urban peripheries, including
 urban peripheries near Beijing.

 *Prof. Alana Boland (Dept of Geography, University of Toronto)*
 Alana Boland has been focusing her research on the areas of environment and
 development, political geography, and the geography of China. Her current
 work focuses on urban water policy in China and the changing roles of state
 and market institutions in the provision of environmental amenities.

 *Prof. Victor Falkenheim (Dept of Political Science, University of Toronto)*
 Victor Falkenheim has carried extensive research on contemporary Chinese
 politics, with an emphasis on citizen participation and local government.

 For any questions, please email us at: eassu@xxxxxxxxx  Hope to see you all
 there!

East Asian Studies Student Union (EASSU)
at University of Toronto
130 St. George St.
Robarts Library, 14299
Toronto, ON M5S 1A5

3. Job Opportunity (See attachment for more details)

The Client Relations Branch of the City of Barrie ICT Department is looking to hire a student for its GIS area.

Please note the deadline for submissions is
*Thursday, April 17^th , 2008 at 4:30pm*

*See attachment for more details*