[tugs] (Fwd) Hot Docs screening of "The True Meaning of Pictures: She

  • From: "TUGS:Toronto Undergraduate Geography Society" <Tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tugsexec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:04:47 -0500

Greetings from Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival! On
November 13 at 7:00 pm we will be screening Jennifer Baichwal's documentary
"THE TRUE MEANING OF PICTURES: SHELBY LEE ADAMS' APPALACHIA." This film
takes a fascinating look at the places, personalities and stories behind
controversial photographer Shelby Lee Adams' photographs. It examines how
Adams' remarkable images of the so-called 'hillbillies' who live in
Kentucky's Appalachia mountains blur the line between art and exploitation.
We would very much appreciate it if you could post our news release and/or
flyer, put information about the screening on your website or find any other
means of getting this information to your students and/or faculty.

In exchange, we would be happy to provide complimentary tickets for you and
some of your students/faculty. Below is the press release for the screening
and a flyer will be along in the mail with more detailed information.

If this exchange is of interest, please contact me directly at the
information below.

Karen Kotzen
Publicity Assistant
Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival
416-203-2155, ext. 245
kkotzen@xxxxxxxxxx
www.hotdocs.ca

*****FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*****

DOC SOUP PRESENTS
?THE TRUE MEANING OF PICTURES:  SHELBY LEE ADAMS? APPALACHIA?
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 7:00 P.M., THE BLOOR CINEMA

Do photographer Shelby Lee Adams? depictions of Eastern Kentucky?s mountain
communities reinforce ?hillbilly? stereotypes? Or do they simply document a
way of life far-removed from modern American culture? Award-winning Canadian
filmmaker Jennifer Baichwal (LET IT COME DOWN: THE LIFE OF PAUL BOWLES, THE
HOLIER IT GETS) delves into the debate surrounding Adams? controversial work
in THE TRUE MEANING OF PICTURES: SHELBY LEE ADAMS? APPALACHIA. The
feature-length documentary screens on November 13, 7 pm, at the Bloor Cinema
as part of Doc Soup, a monthly screening series presented by Hot Docs
Canadian International Documentary Festival. Filmmaker Jennifer Baichwal
will attend this special presentation.

In the film we meet the Childers, an unusually happy family who struggled
for years to keep three mentally challenged children at home; the Napier
family, who lost ten children to violent deaths and live without running
water, plumbing or electricity, and the outlawed sect of the Holiness
Pentecostal Church, whose members drink strychnine and handle rattlesnakes
to prove their faith in God. Historically, the people of the Appalachia have
been labeled by mainstream America as inbred, poor and lazy. This film not
only examines the history of representation in the region and the current
attitude towards it, but it also presents viewers with conflicting
perspectives of Adams? work.

Doc Soup, Hot Docs' monthly screening series, highlights outstanding
contemporary documentaries from Canada and around the globe. Following each
screening, guest directors, subjects or speakers lead an audience
discussion. The Doc Soup season launch featured a sold-out screening of
BIGGIE AND TUPAC, Nick Broomfield?s hard-edged investigation into the
murders of rapsters Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur.

Remaining dates in the 2002-2003 Doc Soup season are: November 13, December
11, January 15, February 12, March 12 and April 2. Film selections will be
announced as they are confirmed. A limited number of Doc Soup subscriptions
are still available on a pro-rated basis via phone, fax or mail through Hot
Docs' office at 416-203-2155, ext. 225 or by visiting Hot Docs' website at
www.hotdocs.ca.

Single tickets ($10 general admission; $8 for seniors) are available for
sale at the Bloor Cinema Box Office prior to the screening. Free admission
to Doc Soup screenings is offered to students, courtesy of The Toronto Star.

The 2002-2003 Doc Soup season is made possible with the generous assistance
of Presenting Sponsor Red Apple Entertainment, exclusive daily print sponsor
The Toronto Star, eye Weekly, The Documentary Channel and the Metropolitan
Hotel.