[tugs] Follow up: Sidney Smith Hall, 5th. floor asbestos incident

  • From: "TUGS" <tugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tugsgeneral@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tugsexec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<ensuexec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:23:04 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Hanks [mailto:robert.hanks@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: March 19, 2002 22:49
To: Ray deSouza
Cc: bollersm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
varsity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; info@xxxxxxxxxxx;
everyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; iweekly@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Follow up: Sidney Smith Hall, 5th. floor asbestos incident

Dear Ray - This incident was brought to my attention on Monday night.
After consultation with the executive of CUPE 3902, we decided to
warn our members that night of this threat to their health and
safety. We issued our warning on Monday night. Our subsequent
investigation has verified that this was the correct course of action.

Here are the facts as I know them (as of Tuesday night).

On Sunday afternoon, some students spotted a substantial hole in the
ceiling on the fifth floor of Sid Smith (near room 5012). There was
also substantial water damage. They returned, took pictures that
evening and reported this to the campus police that night. No action
was taken by the administration until Monday morning. Even though a
mere crack in the ceiling should be enough to set off an asbestos
warning , and even though Sid Smith has a past history of asbestos
problems, this was treated as a plumbing incident rather than an
asbestos incident. While containment sheets were set up around the
damaged area, an air quality test was only considered after CUPE 3902
began to take public action on Monday night and Tuesday morning.

Your e-mail below notes that:

"Since the ceiling tile was wet from the water leak there is a very
small potential for any asbestos to become airborne."

Given that tiny amounts of asbestos can be lethal, I do not believe
that there is such a thing as a "very small" asbestos threat. Given
that a substantial hole was spotted on Sunday, and who knows how long
it had been there before it was spotted, it is reasonable to assume
that the threat is much more than "very small". I believe that it is
imperative that an air quality test be conducted immediately, and
that the results be made known to the university community as soon as
possible.

I also believe that a fuller investigation by outside experts must be
taken to ascertain that the fifth floor of Sid Smith meets provincial
standards for asbestos maintenance.

I fear that this incident is simply the tip of the iceberg created by
a huge backlog of deferred maintenance in older buildings on campus.

The following questions need to be answered:

1) How extensive is the water damage?
2) Why was there such a delay in ordering an air quality test?
3) Why were no warnings issued?
4) What is the current threat to workers and students on the fifth
floor of Sid Smith?

Please advise us on your plans. When will we get the results of the
air quality test? We expect immediate and effective action.

Sincerely yours,

Rob Hanks
Liaison Officer
CUPE Local 3902