[tssg-tech] Re: research on Adapters (what, why, when and how)

  • From: Harry Henriques <harry_henriques@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 07:32:23 -0700 (PDT)

Julie says:

"... the Android guidelines and SDK components use strategies such as using
interfaces to hide the implementation of software components in order to build
modular, maintainable, reusable software ... To me, it appears the current
EventBoss architecture adds unnecessary  layers and complexity, which most
probably will have an negative impact  on performance and maintenance ... Also,
the UI/controller is not supposed to manipulate data ... The last thing the UI
should do is manipulate a list of  events. Adapters are designed to do that."

Harry says:

I don't believe that Adapters are designed to manipulate data.  I believe that
they are designed to transform raw data so that it is compatible with the
requirements of the widgets in the UI.

Jim says:

"Julie says, 'Android guidelines ... use strategies such as interfaces to hide
implementation ...'.  Then Julie says, '... we need a strong argument to do
things differently'.  "If the [Android]  guidelines use the strategies that our
current design uses, then I  don't see that we are doing anything differently."

Harry says:

Good design in Java and in Android Java suggest that we "design to interfaces".

Encapsulation, hiding implementation details within a class, exposing the
minimum required number of public methods, low coupling, and high cohesion are
all good design practices.  There isn't any difference between Java and Java
Android in these issues.  Our current architecture doesn't suggest that we
should abolish these practices.

Julie says, "The UI should not manipulate the list of events."  I agree.  I'm
not sure whether the list should be manipulated in the Model or in the
Controller.  I think that it belongs in the Controller if we use MVC, but I'm
not sure.  By manipulating, I mean searching, parsing, capturing, and
deleting...not transforming.  Transforming should happen in the Data Model.

Julie says, "the current EventBoss architecture adds unnecessary  layers and
complexity."  This seems to be an unsupported comment, and an alternate
approach
is not suggested.  I don't know if I am missing a piece of this on-going
conversation.

I hope this helped to clarify our conversation.

Regards,
Harry

---------------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harryhenriques

________________________________
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:53:48 -0700
From: jcarwellos@xxxxxxxxx
To: tssg-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim, the Android guidelines and SDK components DO "use strategies such as using

interfaces to hide the implementation of software components  to build
modular,
maintainable, reusable software."

I believe we need a strong argument to do things DIFFERENTLY. Why reinvent the
wheel (unless theirs is square)? And so far I can see no clear reason to go
against their recommendations, or invent our own way of doing things. If their
architecture works, why change it? I would have to have a clear explanation of
why their recommendations will not work and how this architecture that has been
set up will solve a problem or enhance performance, maintainability,
extensibility, etc. To me, it appears the current EventBoss architecture adds
unnecessary layers and complexity, which most probably will have an negative
impact on performance and maintenance.

Also, the UI/controller is not supposed to manipulate data - it just makes
calls
on the data model to get/change/put/delete information. This would occur with
Adapters, that wrap the data models. The last thing the UI should do is
manipulate a list of  events. Adapters are designed to do that.

This in combination with "I want to learn Android, not Java" has my vote
decided.

-julie

Julie (Dingee) Carwellos
Web and IT Project Analyst, User Experience and Interaction Designer
LinkedIn- http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdingeecarwellos

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:33:31 -0700